Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Turbo Issues

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Turbo Issues
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So my Tdc stage 2x mustang runs, i am currently having a problem with my Greddy Type-S BOV. Worst part is i have a Dyno appointment on Friday

Anyhow, car runs strong VERY strong

but it wont go over 5psi of boost, when it gets to 5, the BOV opens and closes repeatedly. bleeding off boost and getting boost it does this non stop. i thought the BOV needed to be tightened, so i tightened it, drove it, no difference.

and tightened it more, and now there is no more left to adjust, and there is no difference.

Someone told me that i need a Type-R, but dont want to spend the money on something that might not be the problem.

so let me hear what you guys think it is, and now i need to get a type-r lined up in less than 24 hours in case i cant fix it.

thanks everyone

rob

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe the internal spring broke [Confused]

take it apart and look inside, make sure all the parts are ok

also make sure both boost reference lines are sealed really well [patriot]

good luck on the dyno

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and if all else fails, i would put my money that the u can get one from visnu (sp?), its the wrx shop in milpitas that is not to far from where u will be dynoing, if not the same place, shit any wrx type place should have what u need for a BOV

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
and if all else fails, i would put my money that the u can get one from visnu (sp?), its the wrx shop in milpitas that is not to far from where u will be dynoing, if not the same place, shit any wrx type place should have what u need for a BOV

pleaseeeeeeee give me a phone number [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

gixxer408
¯
Member # 2454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gixxer408  Ford pictures for gixxer408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We had a similar problem with the waste gates acting like yours when we tried to run 30psi. I tightened down the adjustment screw/stud but it still wouldn't boost past 27 psi. What we found was the adjustment screw/stud was too short and I installed a longer threaded stud. Thats when we broke 200mph [Big Grin]
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If anyone will know turbos it will be the place you are dynoing at Rob, I'm sure they'll give you a hand. What about the rear end gear situation,is that limiting your boost also i.e.not allowing the turbos to spool long enough [Confused]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
PumaFiveOh
¯
Member # 2322

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for PumaFiveOh  Ford pictures for PumaFiveOh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 4RS FED:
So my Tdc stage 2x mustang runs, i am currently having a problem with my Greddy Type-S BOV. Worst part is i have a Dyno appointment on Friday

Anyhow, car runs strong VERY strong

but it wont go over 5psi of boost, when it gets to 5, the BOV opens and closes repeatedly. bleeding off boost and getting boost it does this non stop. i thought the BOV needed to be tightened, so i tightened it, drove it, no difference.

and tightened it more, and now there is no more left to adjust, and there is no difference.

Someone told me that i need a Type-R, but dont want to spend the money on something that might not be the problem.

so let me hear what you guys think it is, and now i need to get a type-r lined up in less than 24 hours in case i cant fix it.

thanks everyone

rob

You do have a vacuum line connected from the top of the BOV to a + vacuum source like your intake manifold right? I'm sure you do but just wanted to make sure all the basics are covered! If you don't have the vacuum line connected then it will open as soon as the maximum spring rate is reached on the BOV which is usually around 5psi on a Type-S. Also I recommend you toss that POS BOV and buy a nice real Tial BOV. Good luck! [patriot]

--------------------
"Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!"

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
-Patton

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

alright guys,

i just dont know any places to be calling looking for this stuff unfortunately [Frown]

ryan, the rearend ratio, is kinda a problem, but it is more of a driveability problem. i just want to put down a base line # and go from there.

a few upgrade that i will be doing in the very near future are the rearend ratio change, and the install of a few auto meter gauges and my Electronic Boost Controller.

the different stud idea has me thinking, but the worst part is the car is at the shop, and i dont get off work till 7 tonight. So i need to find a place that has what i need so i can go grab it first thing on friday morning.

i have been told that at the worst case senerio i could just block off the plate all together. and just let off the gas easily on the dyno.

but for the video i would really like to hear the waaaaaaapppppphhhhhhhhssssssssstttttttttt [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
[QBwaaaaaaapppppphhhhhhhhssssssssstttttttttt [Whoo Whooooo!] [/QB]

yes rob has his priorities straight [Razz]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

PumaFiveOh
¯
Member # 2322

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for PumaFiveOh  Ford pictures for PumaFiveOh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can go to my friends at PSI in Hayward. They own the shop and have built and tuned many turbo imports and domestics. They can custom fabricate anything and could diagnose your BOV leak too.

http://www.prostreetonline.com/pso/pages/pc.asp?producttype=Turbos

They have many parts in stock and can pretty much get ANYTHING turbo related very quickly. Easiest way may be to just order online and have free shipping to your house. So you do have the vacuum line connected to the BOV correct? I wouldn't recommend not running a BOV, unless you want to risk damaging the bearings on the turbo's. Just remember when the TB shuts close that pressure has no where to go but back to the turbo causing a massive surge and putting a lot of pressure on the bearings.

--------------------
"Pain is temporary, Pride is forever!"

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his."
-Patton

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

quote:
quote:
waaaaaaapppppphhhhhhhhssssssssstttttttttt [Whoo Whooooo!]

no phone number eric [Frown]

--------------------

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're running less then half the boost your turbo can take, you don't *need* a BOV.
The Garretts I run can handle 25lbs. I run 10lbs with no BOV & have no problems at all.
If I were to run 12lbs or more, I'd buy a Type-R BOV.

It has to do with the amount of thrust your turbo can take (maximum PSI rating) & how much pressure the intake sees when the throttle blade slams shut. Which is typically nearly twice the manifold pressure. Don't go behond the thrust rating & you will not damage the turbos.

Not running a BOV WILL slow down the turbo's during shifts (pressure wave of compressed air going backwards through the turbo), but they'll spool up real fast again. [Smile]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

quote:
quote:
quote:
waaaaaaapppppphhhhhhhhssssssssstttttttttt [Whoo Whooooo!]

no phone number eric [Frown]
sorry no number
call up an import place in the bay area, someone has to have something
or like 93pony said, just make a block off plate and run it

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
block off the plate and make some power tomorrow

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i am planning on taking tomorrow off, block that shit off.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Jimbo
¯
Member # 1456

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jimbo  Ford pictures for Jimbo  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

pleaseeeeeeee give me a phone number [Whoo Whooooo!]
Vishnu is in Pleasanton www.vishnutuning.com
# is 925-924-9800

Posts: 352 | From: Castro Valley,CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ASP performance in Daly City will probably be good with Turbo's too rob [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think you are doing your dyno at ATP, I am sure they can fix your problem. [patriot]

--------------------
2001.5 Audi S4

Posts: 1785 | From: Livermore | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
FordPny
¯
Member # 510

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FordPny  Ford pictures for FordPny    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen1:
i am planning on taking tomorrow off, block that shit off.

--------------------
Holla at yoo boooyyy

Posts: 2458 | From: San Jose CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

i think i got it all fixed [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com