Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Idle Trouble

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Idle Trouble
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Periodically my car will idle at 900 rpm's when in drive and when I am stopped and my car is idleing. If I put it into park it will jump up and idle around 1200 rpms.

What should I check first? I've never had a problem like this before. Help me out guys.

--------------------
Support our troops!

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well first off check your idle screw located under the throttle body. Usually I like to set the screw so that the car idles around 900-950 rpm depending on your cam. Next grab a volt meter and hook it up to the green lead on the TPS sensor. The one located on top of the throttle body. Positive lead of volt meter goes to green lead and negative voltmeter lead goes to any solid ground. Using the volt meter in the 12 volt setting you want to see a reading of .95 to .97 volts. This is the best range with .95 being ideal. If you have an afermarket cam and have checked these settings and the car still isn't right I recommend a ford motorsport IAC plate that goes between the IAC motor and throttle body. This allows extra air to enter throttle body on modified cars. Hope this helps. I am located in Livermore. If you need any help with this let me know. mtbaughs@yahoo.com

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't think it has anything to do with the volts because sometimes it idles fine and then other times it does what I explained above. I have never messed with the TPS at all and haven't changed anything on my car in a long time. It's also a stock motor.

Is there anything I should try to replace/clean?

--------------------
Support our troops!

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well the TPS can fall out of range over time. It is also a sensor known to go bad over time. It's an easy check. The other things I would look into would be pulling off the EGR valve and giving it a good cleaning. If the car hasn't had a good tune up in awhile you may also want to look into doing that.

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's had a good tune up already (Good plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter). I have never cleaned the EGR or changed the IAC(?). You said the TPS can fall out of range over time but it still idles fine sometimes so I don't see that being the culprit.

--------------------
Support our troops!

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Well since the tune up has already been done try cleaning the EGR valve with carb cleaner or brake kleen. Sometime if the valve gets dirty it can stick open or not open when it is supposed to. Two nuts hold the egr onto the egr block and it can easily be removed. Push the valve open and shoot the cleaner into the valve while working the area clean with some scotch brite.

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

I'll try that thanks.

--------------------
Support our troops!

eighty8mclaren
¯
Member # 2751

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eighty8mclaren  Ford pictures for eighty8mclaren    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take a look at this website this could be the problem, if not it is very good to do this anyways. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/01/tenpin/index.shtml
Posts: 100 | From: los angeles | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by eighty8mclaren:
Take a look at this website this could be the problem, if not it is very good to do this anyways. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/01/tenpin/index.shtml

Thanks for that link. I am going to try everything that was mentined above and post back.

--------------------
Support our troops!

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by eighty8mclaren:

damn it u beat me too it, i was gonna list that link

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

I haven't had any time to check or work on my car yet but I started it up today and it idled at 2,000rpms [Frown] [Confused]

I will be diagnosing the problem on Saturday. Thanks for everyones help by the way.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Alright well I tried what was mentioned to me in the link that was posted about the "salt and pepper shakers" and that didn't help. I also removed, inspected, and cleaned my egr and that didn't help either.

For some reason I can't find my volt meter so I am going to go down and pick another one up so I can check my tps.

--------------------
Support our troops!

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Hey just drive by my house and I'll check it out free for you. I have a volt meter already.

(408)910-6924 Mike

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

If it's not the TPS that it's got to be a vacuum leak somewhere. Or un-metered air is getting into the motor

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com