Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » GT40 heads and x cam question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: GT40 heads and x cam question
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i need new springs, what should i get?
the set up i have is:
x cam
1.7 roller rockers
ported GT40 heads
_______ springs

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Comp 987's installed at 1.800 inches.
Or equivilent.
~120lbs seat, 310lbs at .550 lift, & 330lbs at .600 lift
Coil bind at .650 lift with at the above installed height.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D987%2D16

BTW, these are dual springs so you'll have to get the spring seats machined to fit duals. Have them cut to fit a spring with .697 inch inner diameter. (any machine shop should be able to do this for like $40)

If you were using 1.6 rockers you could get away with these:
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=TFS%2D2500100

[ January 25, 2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LMFAO!!! That combo sounds VERY familiar! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
LMFAO!!! That combo sounds VERY familiar! [Big Grin]

dude, i got such a good deal on this shit. 200 for the heads, rockers, lifters, and pushrods. and 90 dollars shipped for the cam.
i finally have found some good deals!

oh, and the heads have been ported nicley too [patriot]
is this the setup you had in your 87 before you parted it out and sent it to its doom?

[ January 25, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: cobraman_1994 ]

--------------------
86 GT

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Or equivilent.

BTW, these are dual springs so you'll have to get the spring seats machined to fit duals. Have them cut to fit a spring with .697 inch inner diameter. (any machine shop should be able to do this for like $40)

ok, i just bought them! [patriot]
can i still use the stock valve covers? or should i just find some aftermarket ones [Confused]

--------------------
86 GT

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
quote:
Or equivilent.

can i still use the stock valve covers? or should i just find some aftermarket ones [Confused]

You should be able to use the stock covers....probably have to cut the baffle. Every setup is different. You'll have to check.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

ill pick up a set if i find some then, but i wont worry about it untill the time comes. [patriot]

--------------------
86 GT

Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Or equivilent.

ur definately going to need tall valve covers and an intake spacer like 3/8 or so

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

wich intake manifold should i go with?

--------------------
86 GT

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used my gt40's, x cam with stock valve covers at first. I also used 1.6 rockers though. YOU MUST REMOVE THE BAFFLE!!!

It should clear otherwise.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

i guess we will find out pretty soon huh [Big Grin]
now...about an intake manifold. should i just go with the GT40?

--------------------
86 GT

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Edelbrock Performer manifold.

& on a fox you shouldn't have to get an intake spacer for aftermarket Valve Covers....unless they are a lot taller then stock.
I run 1.72 Scorpian rockers (large aluminums) with a custom cam that has .550 lift & those aluminum 'Cobra' valve covers from Ford. I had to remove 1 bolt from the VC baffle to get the rockers to clear. No intake spacer either.

There are also valve cover gaskets that are twice as thick as stock if you're real close to getting the stock valve covers to fit. My guess is you'll have to remove the baffle on the stock covers & other then that everything will clear.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

where should i send my heads? local prefered!

--------------------
86 GT

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
to your local macheen chop [patriot]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:

MotorMachine!

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

quote:
quote:

MotorMachine!
wheres is that located shaun?

oh, and hows your monster doing?

--------------------
86 GT

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Fair Oaks Blvd near Manzinita

My stang is up & running again. Got a few little bugs to work out & I still need to tune it. Should only be a few more weeks till she's ready to rock.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

quote:
Fair Oaks Blvd near Manzinita

My stang is up & running again. Got a few little bugs to work out & I still need to tune it. Should only be a few more weeks till she's ready to rock.

great!
so how much are you going to boost now? now that your block is invincible [Razz]

--------------------
86 GT

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Same as before....minimum boost.
The rest of the combo can't take much more power. (rear end & tranny)

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com