Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Supercharger - what other mod's can I do to the 4.6?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Supercharger - what other mod's can I do to the 4.6?
Floored
¯
Member # 2312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floored  Ford pictures for Floored    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm thinking I'm going to get a new supercharger for the 00 GT along with exhaust. However, I was wondering what else to get.

Gears? It's an automatic. Remember car will be running the supercharger. Do I need them or not?

TB/MAF/Intake, again do I need to upgrade or not?

I'm new to 4.6 and superchargers so I'm not sure what all is included in a kit and what else to upgrade, so any help is much appriciated. Thanks!

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

Posts: 788 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Congrats on the new car! [patriot]

what gears are in the rear now?

and I would imagine that if you buy it new, the supercharger kit should come with everything except a dyno run and a tuning chip burn.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Floored
¯
Member # 2312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floored  Ford pictures for Floored    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
car has stock gears, not sure what they are, but guessing 273's

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

NORCAL281
¯
Member # 3754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NORCAL281  Ford pictures for NORCAL281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im not sure if autos have the same as the sticks but if anything it might be 3.27's. go with some 3.90's and slap on the kenne bell charger kit they make for the 99+ gt! also change up the whole exuast system for that killa v8 sound...
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your gonna get a supercharger make sure you get a good intake, SOHC have weak intakes, changing the intake and slapping on a blower will give you good HP number across the charts. and some long tube headers would be great as well. [Wink]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
QWICK46
¯
Member # 1843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QWICK46  Ford pictures for QWICK46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Alice, congrats on the car, how do you like it?

If you're going to get a supercharger, you really ought to decide whether you're going to get a roots, centrifugal or twin screw. Everyone seems to have good things to say about the KB blowers right now and that seems like a good way to go. That being said, if I had the cash available, personally I'd probably end up going with an ATI Procharger. Peoples' big numbers with relatively low boost with the KB really show how efficient that blower is, but I like the idea of having a centrifugal more, just because I could stay out of boost easier, I could be wrong but I think it would be easier on the motor during normal street driving. I like the fact that you can get the ATI's with an intercooler cheaper than other centrifugals, and that you can get a decent, self-contained unit from them. I've heard positive & negative comments about them, mostly having to do with sealing issues, but I really think the people who have problems are few & far between.

If you go with a centrifugal, then next on your to do list should be an intake. You could go with a bullitt set-up, or to be different, the new Fox-Lake intake should work about as good, with a lower cost for all the parts to complete the swap. You could also just change your plenum & throttle body for about $400, and get reasonable results for the money there. Also, keep in mind that if you change the intake after you do the supercharger, you'll have to change your pipe to the throttle body if you go with the Bullitt intake, further adding to your costs.

Pretty funny, I try to do a lot of research about this stuff, but I don't have the cash to put the research to use. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Michael
'02 GT ~ sold for a Big, Slow Dodge Ram
'03 SV650S
'04 R1100S ~ The daily driver

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BarelyLegalGT:
car has stock gears, not sure what they are, but guessing 273's

you have 3.27's, on a modualr motor 4.10's are always a good idea and they also run great with power adders. I'd love to see another turbo car on this web site. Good luck [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

or this

[ January 25, 2004, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: ihatethesesns ]

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would highly recommend installing an msd or other aftermarket ignition with a rev-limiter that doesn't pull fuel from the cylinders under boost [Eek!] to help you keep the bottom end together. look at what NavidR's motor to see what could happen...
i blew up my first cobra motor too
[Eek!]

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Hater
¯
Member # 3085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hater  Ford pictures for Hater    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If its an automatic it should have 3.08s thats for sure,,thats what my 01 gt came with automatic,,and I would strongly recommend the new kenne bell sc,,comes with EVERYTHING u need,,one chip comes programed for 4 different pullies that will put you from 8 to 15 psi..15 psi on a stock engine will give u 500rwhp./.
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hater:
15 psi on a stock engine will give u 500rwhp./.

and ALMOST a whole day worth of fun before you need a new motor [Big Grin]
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
If its an automatic it should have 3.08s thats for sure,,thats what my 01 gt came with automatic,,and I would strongly recommend the new kenne bell sc,,comes with EVERYTHING u need,,one chip comes programed for 4 different pullies that will put you from 8 to 15 psi..15 psi on a stock engine will give u 500rwhp./.

hmmmmm that's odd, my auto came with 3.27's and I know a few people who had 3.27's on their 5-speeds. Do you have a V6 with a 7.5" rear end. Are yu positive these are 3.08's for an 8.8" rear end [Confused]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
If its an automatic it should have 3.08s thats for sure,,thats what my 01 gt came with automatic

My buddies automatic has 3.27's... Just checked the axle code. Oh yeah and didn't all 99+ GT's come with nothing less than 3.27 unless noted otherwise??

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
1BAD2V
Screwed and Sprayed
Member # 2495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1BAD2V  Ford pictures for 1BAD2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a KB blower with intercooler 9psi with all the little extras: boost a pump, 90MM MAF, 75 or (80?)TB and their "cool air kit" whateva..
Drop a nice exhaust too like shorties + xpipe +catback.. you should be around 450 rwhp.
THEN..later on the road when ur engine is blown, rebuilt with forged internals, get a 5.0 (306ci) stroker for the 4.6 or even a 5.3L (324ci) from ur 4.6 (aluminium block then, bored and stroked..). You will see over 500 rwhp easy..
Now that being said, we are talking about the KB 1.7L...they are planning to release the 2.2L in couple of months !!!! (the same they put on the 03 cobra)...this one will make insane power on a forged engine...in any case ..say bye bye to ur stock block over 450rwhp..my 0.02

no need to change gears with a KB. If you with a vortech or ati...get 3.73 or 4.10...

[ January 26, 2004, 06:38 AM: Message edited by: RD2BBLOWN ]

--------------------
01 MG GT
Some mods

Posts: 552 | From: Los Angeles,CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
1BAD2V
Screwed and Sprayed
Member # 2495

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1BAD2V  Ford pictures for 1BAD2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Turbo is nice too but really expensive to install wit all those pipes...
KB just bolts on..easy install..u can do it urself..

--------------------
01 MG GT
Some mods

Posts: 552 | From: Los Angeles,CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
Hater
¯
Member # 3085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hater  Ford pictures for Hater    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check KB website,,youll find the specifications on their twin screw sc,,I've never seen drag tests on a 2v mustang with a KB supercharger though,,I would like to know also how good are they for drag racing..
Floored
¯
Member # 2312

I think I'm gunna go with the Vortech. Will I need a timing adjuster?

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

2000BlackGT
Loyalty
Member # 283

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2000BlackGT  Ford pictures for 2000BlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BarelyLegalGT:
I think I'm gunna go with the Vortech. Will I need a timing adjuster?

no, a chip will fix all that for you
Posts: 2833 | From: Chico, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
Bullitt3905
¯
Member # 905

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bullitt3905  Ford pictures for Bullitt3905    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get the procharger so you don't have to tap the oil pan, the kit comes with the intercooler too.

like i told ya before, make sure you get a stall and shift kit.

--------------------
2001 Mustang Bullitt #3905
SR springs, koni orange, steeda sts, magnaflows, 18" Bullitt wheels, grille delete, chin spoiler, 03 cf hood, JLT sri

Posts: 1067 | From: citrus heights, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com