Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » which thermostat? 160,180,195,or none.........

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: which thermostat? 160,180,195,or none.........
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My mods are h/c/i and rebuit radiator and stock fan on a fox. [burnout]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For the most power, you should run a 160. For the most longevity of the motor, you think of a 180 or 190. The proper operating temp for a SBF is 190-210, anything lower, and the wear in the cylinders and to the pistons/rings increases.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

Agreed... this may be a first! [Wink]

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Probably [Big Grin]

In all honesty, I don't think a thermostat makes that much of a difference as far as engine wear goes. A 180 thermo was the first mod I did to my car.... ~110,000 miles ago. I install a 160 thermo when I go to the track to keep the engine cooler between passes. I toss the stock 190 thermo back in every 2 years for SMOG.

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm about to toss in a 160 for charging reason, I think it will make my fan opperate differently and then I won't hae to worry about shutting the fan on and off [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

What you need is a 3G alternator upgrade. If you have one already, you need the over drive alternator pulley from Auto Specialties.
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Probably [Big Grin]

In all honesty, I don't think a thermostat makes that much of a difference as far as engine wear goes. A 180 thermo was the first mod I did to my car.... ~110,000 miles ago. I install a 160 thermo when I go to the track to keep the engine cooler between passes. I toss the stock 190 thermo back in every 2 years for SMOG.

Don't you think if the engineers at Ford had intended you to use a 160° thermostat, it would have come from the factory with a 160° thermostat? Read any automotive text book, you'll find 80% of engine wear comes from driving during warm-up.

Here's some articles that point out the increased wear of using a 160° for daily use.

http://www.carnut.com/ramblin/cool3.html
http://www.federal-mogul.com/cda/content/front/0,2194,2442_897053_7519,00.html
http://www.dewitts.com/download/cooling.pdf
http://redfox340.tripod.com/wbodyperformance/id8.html

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recommend a 180 deg. thermostat.
[burnout]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Don't you think if the engineers at Ford had intended you to use a 160° thermostat, it would have come from the factory with a 160° thermostat? Read any automotive text book, you'll find 80% of engine wear comes from driving during warm-up.

Hell, I don't think that the engineers at Ford intended for me to stick in a 5 speed and chirp the 1-2 shift every day, 250,000 miles later [Big Grin]

Think about it for a second:

"Read any automotive text book, you'll find 80% of engine wear comes from driving during warm-up."

It does not matter if you have a 160,180,190 or 290 degree thermostat durring warm up. The first ~10 minutes of operation the thermostat will be closed regardless.

Can you give me 5 links on how synthetic oil will make my engine last longer, because after a quarter million miles of 99cents per quart oil and 180/160 thermostats, I better start changing my ways and figuring out how to get some durability out of this 302 [Big Grin]

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, when I 1st bought my 94gt, It had a 160deg thermo in it, and boy, oh boy it kept getting up to the "A" and the "L" on me, bad news... So, JohnB suggested that I check and see if I had an stock one or not, and if not swap that out... well I ended putting in a stock replacement, and it helped aLOT.

but then a week later my water pump started to fail... lol. [Razz]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say 180 works best for me.but my other 89 has a 195 i think and it works great too. i had a 160 in it but it didnt like it much.my gas milage dropped.

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:

"Read any automotive text book, you'll find 80% of engine wear comes from driving during warm-up."

It does not matter if you have a 160,180,190 or 290 degree thermostat durring warm up. The first ~10 minutes of operation the thermostat will be closed regardless.

I know the thermostat isn't open for the first ten minutes. The point I was trying to make about the engine wear during start up is the fact the engine is not up to the proper operating temperature (190°-210°).

--------------------

siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for siri95  Ford pictures for siri95  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay okay, after reading all this.. send me to the right store to change my t-stat. im runing 160. and all of u guys make me want to get 180. so, wheres the nearest store and what should i get. and how much does it cost to put in.. cause i dont have the tools to do it.. thanks

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1992 Ford F-150 XLT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by siri95:
okay okay, after reading all this.. send me to the right store to change my t-stat. im runing 160. and all of u guys make me want to get 180. so, wheres the nearest store and what should i get. and how much does it cost to put in.. cause i dont have the tools to do it.. thanks

Kragens has them for $8 and buy the gaskets.. Two bolts it comes right off.. Make sure to drain half or radiator and check if top hose is empty then get to work...Should take 5-10 minz..

I NEVER done it but my boy did it in his and it seemed easy! Im getting 180 tomorrow from Kragens [patriot]

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

quote:

Do you have a chip turning on your electric fan sooner? If not, on '94+ stangs, a cooler thermostat with out a chip will only make your car take longer to warm up and make your car run cooler while cruising above ~40 mph.

Napa thermostat gaskets are my fave because they have a sticker on one side that holds the thermostat in place.

siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for siri95  Ford pictures for siri95  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Do you have a chip turning on your electric fan sooner? If not, on '94+ stangs, a cooler thermostat with out a chip will only make your car take longer to warm up and make your car run cooler while cruising above ~40 mph.

Napa thermostat gaskets are my fave because they have a sticker on one side that holds the thermostat in place.

i think ill get an 180*... its just i dont want anything bad happen to my car... seems to me 180* will make my car last longer.. rahter than my 160*

and is there a website i can seee..on how to put a thermostat on??

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1992 Ford F-150 XLT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Don't worry about the 160* making your motor "die" sooner. Think about it for a bit and then do a search if need be....... When was the last time you heard of a 5.O dying due to a thermostat???? [Confused]
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Don't worry about the 160* making your motor "die" sooner. Think about it for a bit and then do a search if need be....... When was the last time you heard of a 5.O dying due to a thermostat???? [Confused]

Yeah, I hope our discussion has scared the crap out of you. It won't explode after 3 days of driving with a 160° thermostat. It's the über-long term affects you have to think about.

--------------------

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
195 is the way to go. [burnout]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com