Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Changing Interior Color on a fox?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Changing Interior Color on a fox?
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Right now my interior color is a dark grey. I know I can order carpet and I was plaing on getting black seats from corbeau and getting rid of the back seat for a custom sound system. But what about the rest of the interior panels and dash. I hear that interior paint is very unreliable and basically starts to chip immediately. I was wondering if there is a company that sells black interior parts or is this basically a luck of the draw junk yard opperation? Or is there someone out there that will reapholster all of my interior pieces black? Let me know what my options are, thanks!
Ryan [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all this for a car you want to sell?

anyhow, robs cousin john just finished convering his beige interior to black. talk to him, he did the whole conversion for under $300

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah a friend made a point to me that I couldn't defeat. that was how could you dump so much money into a car only to sell it for a loss. I think the only way I'm keeping it is if I can do absolutely everything I want, the way I want it to work [patriot]

--------------------

-Me

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mine is re-painted and there are zero signs of chiping/cracking/fading/etc. it's been almost 2 years now [patriot]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

what paint did youuse, and did you paint it yourself [Confused]

--------------------

-Me

sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k2  Ford pictures for sn8k2  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go to 50resto.com and order some plastic paint/dye. Vinyl dye is best when used on soft plastic surfaces. Laquer spray dye is best when used on hard plastic surfaces. This is the stuff to use when repainting your interior. Be sure to prep the plastic correctly or you'll wish you had. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Mark K

2003 Cobra | 2001 Cobra | 1989 Black Mustang GT - the Savage

Posts: 152 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Actually it isnt referred to as interior paint.it is called interior/vinyl/plastic dye.you can go to any automotive paint supplier and get the dye.The best stuff is the brand SEM.It is what I use and have never has ANY problems at all.It will not chip at all becasue of how it works.It literally soaks into the vinyl or plastic.in fact if you look at some of the factory pieces that are worn you will se that it is just a dye used form the factory to begin with.If someone had a problem with chipping it was probably because they were using paint and not a dye.

Droptop dont spend alot of money having it redone.Do it yourself.Trust me that stuff works awesome.I have been using it for years.That SEM brand really makes a great product.You cannot mess up with it because of how it "soaks in'.it is by no means a paint.therefore it really isnt a layer that you are applying like a conventional paint would.I also at times have used the interior die form pepboys and kragens and it works almost as good but SEM is definatly superior to store brand dyes.

And you will get a free high doing it if you dont use a mask of some sort [Big Grin]

Hope this info helps [patriot]

Posts: 22472 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

how long does it take this dye to dry up and such and what exactly goes into prepping the pieces [Confused]

--------------------

-Me

sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sn8k2  Ford pictures for sn8k2  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
how long does it take this dye to dry up and such and what exactly goes into prepping the pieces [Confused]

I think it's too cold/humid right now to do it, but that's just me... I'm waiting until it gets a little warmer to do the interior dye thing. I'm sure HaulnAssMaro can give you the specifics on dry time. As far as prep, I'm doing what PurleNotch does to prep - steam clean the parts. I've got a black interior I picked up out of a 93 fox, so by the time I get all the parts cleaned & ready to paint, it should be nice and warm outside [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Mark K

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

I want to paint mine black, if you're painting black interior mark...I hate you [Razz] sell that to me. Purple Notch is the one that told me it looked like crap on his old vert [Confused] I just wishsomeone had a full black interior they would sell to me [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

-Me

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
junk yard! ill help ya pick the parts [patriot]
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaulnAssMaro:
Actually it isnt referred to as interior paint.it is called interior/vinyl/plastic dye.you can go to any automotive paint supplier and get the dye.The best stuff is the brand SEM.It is what I use and have never has ANY problems at all.It will not chip at all becasue of how it works.It literally soaks into the vinyl or plastic.in fact if you look at some of the factory pieces that are worn you will se that it is just a dye used form the factory to begin with.If someone had a problem with chipping it was probably because they were using paint and not a dye.

Droptop dont spend alot of money having it redone.Do it yourself.Trust me that stuff works awesome.I have been using it for years.That SEM brand really makes a great product.You cannot mess up with it because of how it "soaks in'.it is by no means a paint.therefore it really isnt a layer that you are applying like a conventional paint would.I also at times have used the interior die form pepboys and kragens and it works almost as good but SEM is definatly superior to store brand dyes.

And you will get a free high doing it if you dont use a mask of some sort [Big Grin]

Yea, that's exactly what I used. I got it at my local paint store, I kept everything two toned and used these colors: Grey= Presido or Presidio, and black= Satin Black. It's like $10 a can and you'll need at least two.

[ January 15, 2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: 87 Saleen ]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

1992 SILVER BULLET
¯
Member # 2678

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1992 SILVER BULLET  Ford pictures for 1992 SILVER BULLET    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by HaulnAssMaro:

hey haulnass where do I get this SEM paint at. Any specific place that carries it? i'm interested, and want to do mines right.
sn8k2
¯
Member # 2350

quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
I want to paint mine black, if you're painting black interior mark...I hate you [Razz] sell that to me.

Sorry bro - no sale. Don't hate [Wink]
quote:
I just wish someone had a full black interior they would sell to me [Roll Eyes]

Keep looking in the Ford Sale section - that's where I got mine from. [patriot]

[ January 15, 2004, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: sn8k ]

--------------------
Mark K

forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Use SEM, thats the best stuff, and if your converting to black interior, go with "Flat Black", its identical to the stock black interior. I've done it to my coupe, and it came out perfect. You can take a key to the dash board, and it won't even scratch. Make sure you prep all the plastics and vinyls. I used simple green and an brillo pad. Worked for me!! [patriot]

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com