Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Break in period for 331 stroker

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Break in period for 331 stroker
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 331 stroker should be done in about 4 days...

I know the break in period is approx. 1000 miles. Would it be safe to put it on the dyno before it's fully broken in. I have an appt at the Mustang Ranch and it will prolly only have 200 miles on it.

Thanks.Tony

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

ray95
¯
Member # 752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ray95  Ford pictures for ray95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'd reschedule and get at least 1000 correct break in miles on the motor. but hey....that's just me.
Posts: 895 | From: The Bay Area | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The break-in period is only for the rings. Depending on the type of ring you're running, you may not need a break in of more than 100 miles. [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what kind of rings are the ones u only have to break in for a 100 miles?i want some! [Big Grin]

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Straight from the University of Washington's Engineering website...
During the break-in period of a piston ring, the piston ring and cylinder bore wear at an accelerated rate and conform to a mutual shape and size. The break-in period is the period of operation time required for the running surfaces of piston rings and the surface of the cylinder bore to conform to one another after initial startup. In the past, the engine break-in period was very important to the overall life and durability of the engine. The break-in period required has changed over the years with improved piston ring materials and designs. The break-in period now is short in comparison with that of engines of the past. Aluminum cylinder bore engine piston rings break-in faster than those used on cast iron cylinder bores.

During the break-in period, the piston rings and cylinder bore wear rapidly to remove any rough edges on the piston ring running surface and cylinder wall. In general, there is no special engine operation procedure required during the break-in period. Break-in is accomplished by any speed above idle and may occur faster if the engine is operated at varying loads and speeds. However, break-in occurs at an acceptable rate if the engine is operated at slightly less than top no-load speed with or without a moderate load. Combustion pressures at this speed are sufficiently high to cause piston rings to conform to the cylinder wall. It is recommended that an engine not be operated continuously at full load during the initial hours of operation. This can lead to permanent deformation of the cylinder bore.

Enjoy! [Big Grin]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The rings on there are Mahle File Fit. The builder said it should be ok. He just warned me of not cruising at a steady speed for long distances, like on the freeway or the rings could get glazed.

--------------------

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just my opinion, but to be safe go at least 500 miles of varied driving (different rpms), change the oil, check the coolant for oil (hopefully you won't see any) and then dyno it...no reason to hurt your new motor just to get a number at the dyno...

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

I'll make to have at least 500 miles on it before putting it on the dyno. I'll also change oil too.

I'm not too concerned about getting the hp numbers rather than making sure it's tuned right. There's a autologic chip in there already but it was last tuned for my 302 with at least one dead cylinder. I'm hoping it'll drive ok until I get it retuned.

Thanks for the advice.

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with my 331 i ran it easy and in the low rpm range untill 500 miles than changed the oil to get all the assembly particles out and then drove another 500 miles changed the oil again and then went to the dyno. than after the dyno i changed the oil one more time ya i know a lot of oil changing but i wanted to make sure that everything was looking right and besides while your down there double check your bolts they'll all come loss after some mileage. good luck [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Thanks...I can't wait to get it back. I'm hoping it'll be done on Monday.
biggmatt
¯
Member # 1124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for biggmatt  Ford pictures for biggmatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
breaking in is for pussies
go race somebody, then its broke in

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

yeah fuck that shit...

--------------------

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shit you talk to guys who are good engine builders they tel you to take that biatch up to redline. Most places break motors in on the dyno, you need to seat those valves, and rings. You should get the motor running, and once it is running good take it out and put a load on it. DO some 3rd and 4th gear full throttle stabs up to about 5,000 and continue to do so.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kwikrob  Ford pictures for kwikrob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
First off, change your oil after your cam break in, not 500 miles! Most shit comes off right away(assembly lube, bronze gear wear, etc.) Put a couple hundred miles to be safe. But honestly, if the rings do not seat in the first 15 minutes, they never will!

--------------------
Slowest car on this board!

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

I still haven't got the car back yet(Hope fully Thursday [Roll Eyes] ).

I'll prolly change the oil after I put about 40 miles on it.

--------------------

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Well I just got it back... It runs good but could a good tuning.

So far I've been driving at varying speeds on freeway and getting off and on every 5 miles or so. I've taken it up to 4500-5000 three or four times so far. Right now it has 17 miles on it.

--------------------

347 Stroker
¯
Member # 4039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 347 Stroker  Ford pictures for 347 Stroker  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just keep doing the same thing. rev it up under varying loads. I just finished breaking in my 347 a month ago. changed oil after the first 25 miles, then started reving it up in 1st, 2nd to 5k,loading 3rd at half pedal up to 4k. After 100 miles I started letting 1st gear rip to 6200, 2nd to 5800, then back off..changed oil again at 125 miles & checked plugs.

She runs strong as hell, no probs at all. just need my chip re-tuned is all

Scott

--------------------
87GT/5spd
347/N20

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

When is your chip gonna be re-tuned?

I have an appt. next Saturday at The Mustang Ranch.

I should have about 500 miles on it by then.

--------------------

347 Stroker
¯
Member # 4039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 347 Stroker  Ford pictures for 347 Stroker  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
real soon now, Look at the post called (dyno in Sac) Just located a dyno very very close to me. I'm putting in a booster pump tommorrow, then gonna make an apt for a few base pulls to see where my AF ratio is and try and get it as close as possible for the drive down, then i'll be making plans to head down to mustang ranch or apex to have Byron Renolds re-tune my chip NA & with the N20 flowin. I'm hoping to get down to so cal within the month.

Take Care,
Scott

--------------------
87GT/5spd
347/N20

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com