Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » NEEED HELP ON COBRA R WHEELS

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: NEEED HELP ON COBRA R WHEELS
saleenmomo89
¯
Member # 3251

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for saleenmomo89  Ford pictures for saleenmomo89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i purchaced cobra r wheels from AFSWHEELS.com, and the front do not fit. The sizes are 17x9 for the back, and 17x8 for the front, the back fits fine, but the front hags out of the fender like 1 inch on each side. I have checked and the wheels are the right size, i think it is the offset that is creating this problem, has any one else had this problem with cobra R's [Confused]
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by saleenmomo89:
i purchaced cobra r wheels from AFSWHEELS.com, and the front do not fit. The sizes are 17x9 for the back, and 17x8 for the front, the back fits fine, but the front hags out of the fender like 1 inch on each side. I have checked and the wheels are the right size, i think it is the offset that is creating this problem, has any one else had this problem with cobra R's [Confused]

I've had 17x8s in front and now 17x9s in front with just a little scrubbing so i do 3pnt turns. Take it to a shop and see what they say or alignment shop.

Wanna sell the 17x8s to me?

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
saleenmomo89
¯
Member # 3251

Ford Icon 9 posted      Profile for saleenmomo89  Ford pictures for saleenmomo89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it just got alighnied at wheel works, they said they couldnt adjust the camber any more, and that it was not the right fit, it rubs so bad that i cant even go over bumps, even small ones, both rub, and when i stop they rub.
[Eek!]

jr5.0
¯
Member # 399

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jr5.0  Ford pictures for jr5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where is it rubbing?
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd be willing to bet they are the wrong backspacing, and if the alignment shop needs to adjust more this is because you need aftermarket caster camber plates [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what size tire do have on the car?

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
saleenmomo89
¯
Member # 3251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleenmomo89  Ford pictures for saleenmomo89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it rubs on both fender wells, the tire to the steel, it rubs bad.
bobbystang
¯
Member # 2747

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobbystang  Ford pictures for bobbystang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got 00 r's on my 99 cobra and the fronts stick out prob a half inch but it really dont bother me that mucc. I've never had the rubbing problem or anything like that so. Hopefully it works out for ya.

--------------------
99 cobra 3569-4040

mods: bunch of little things.

Posts: 83 | From: detroit, michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have AFS 17x8s all the way around and encountered minor rubbing on Full-lock turns, so 3-points are a must. I also have a 1" drop, but I massaged the wheelwells so it wouldn't rub on emergency braking, etc. Mine don't stick out like you have explained above. I have 245/45s in the front.

Does the WHOLE tire stick out or does it look like excessive toe-out?

Give more info please to help us diagnose the problem: Tire Sizes? Lowered?

drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have 17x9 cobra r's all the way around and the 245/45/17's on front only rub when turning, but i just avoid sharp turns. mine don't stick out at all especially after i bought my c/c plates. i think that'll solve the problem. [patriot]

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

saleenmomo89
¯
Member # 3251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for saleenmomo89  Ford pictures for saleenmomo89    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have 255/ 40s on the tire, and a 1 inch lowering, i had the camber adjusted at Wheel works when they alighned my wheels the same day i put them on, and the rim and tire both stick out. i cant even go over small bumps, i have pictures. anyone who could possibly help, i could send the pics to you so you could see how it looks.
Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not sure about AFS, but Ford specifically makes a set of their Cobra Rs (M179) for fox bodies that has a different back spacing than the original 95 Cobra Rs (R58) to fix the problem you are having... Looks like you're going to need some custom work done on those wheels...

Good Luck...

[ January 10, 2004, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com