Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Octane minimum with 9.77:1 compression ratio?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Octane minimum with 9.77:1 compression ratio?
BUCK_FIFTY
¯
Member # 728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUCK_FIFTY  Ford pictures for BUCK_FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought a set of AFR 1.90/1.60 , 60cc heads for my 94 GT. My car is also my daily driver and I use 87 octane during my daily 60 mile round trip from work everyday. I was told that the new compression ratio when I install the heads will be 9.77:1. Will I still be able to use 87 octane with 10 degree timing for my daily commute, or will I need to move up in octane and change the timing to prevent pinging and detonation? [Confused]

Also, does anyone know what my compression will be if I went with low comp pistons on a 306 block I plan on getting? [Confused]

[ January 02, 2004, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Yung Than ]

--------------------
"Funny how cheap ass people have money to do it right the second time, haha!"

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you should be able to run on 87 the worst would be 89. My friend is running 10.7 to 1 and he runs 91. [patriot]
Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i used 91 with my 12:1 383 aluminum headed small block. [burnout]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 94GT was prone to detonation....I would only run 91 octane in it....

If you get aftermarket heads, I would suggest getting a custom chip/dyno tune and use 87 octane on the dyno so you know you will be safe running anything higher...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Talk to FasterDamnit. He found a way to tweak the fuel pressure and run full timing and he runs 87 octane and that beast of his that runs low 12's threatening the 11.99 barrier [worship]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com