Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » the shakes again...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: the shakes again...
biggerisbetter
¯
Member # 3730

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for biggerisbetter  Ford pictures for biggerisbetter    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok so I posted up a while back that my car would shake rapidly whenever I started it up and while I'm driving, but really bad when I go past 3k rpms. I also said that about every two weeks or so that it would run really good for a day or two. You guys mentioned it could be a bad piston, spark plug and wires, and maybe a harmonic balancer. Well I replaced my spark plugs so it wasn't that and tomorrow I'm going to hook it up to one of those computer diagnostic things to check it out even though a check engine light isn't on. After this has been going on for the past couple months I finally noticed something that might help you guys solve this problem. Whenever the gas gauge is almost on "E" it runs really good, and whenever its not it runs really bad, which is what I didn't realize why it runs good once every week and a half or so because it takes me that long to go through a tank of gas. I'm kicking myself for being stupid and not noticing that earlier, but maybe you guys can take that clue and help me out with my problem. How could little gas in the gas tank cause my car to run good and a full tank to cause my car to run bad? Any info would be great.
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bad fuel pump? Dirty filter?

Do you hear/feel something rolling around in the back of your car when you make hard turns sometimes?

biggerisbetter
¯
Member # 3730

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for biggerisbetter  Ford pictures for biggerisbetter    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just replaced the fuel filter today and nothing different...
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the fuel cap first, make sure it is NOT venting. Any smog check shope can do this. Secondly, climb under the car and check the vent lines going to/from the tank; make sure all the lines/ hoes are good and nothing has been dented/cut. Thirdly, make sure the supply lines coming from the pump aren't kinked or crushed in anyway. You can see the lines just aft the axle housing in the right wheelwell. Lastly, make sure your FPR isn't leaking. Good luck! [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what about the dampner? Did you ever check that?
biggerisbetter
¯
Member # 3730

When I get some more free time I will check out the fuel lines and cap, but what dampner?
blue88lx
¯
Member # 2970

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for blue88lx  Ford pictures for blue88lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your Coil!

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com