Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Bay Area convertible top replacement recommendations?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Bay Area convertible top replacement recommendations?
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have it all lined up where I'm going to get the top, I'm just looking for a shop to get it installed at. I called Mr. Stitch in San Mateo, and was quoted 12 hours labor @$48/hr (for top and back curtain). Unfortunately the back glass came undone from the curtain and is currently held in place with double sided mounting tape, which he said would make it not re-usable.

Anybody know of any other places that would quote a cheaper price? I'm in San Jose, but willing to travel to get it done right/cheaper.

--------------------
87 5.0 LX: Exploded
94 Cobra: Totalled
94 GT Vert: Rear ended
98 Charged GT: Sold
65-67 2+2 Fastback: Someday...

Posts: 704 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Beasty5.0
¯
Member # 2935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beasty5.0  Ford pictures for Beasty5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I take all my stuff to a place call O&R Auto Upholstery in Pinole. Ask for a guy named Omar and tell him that Moises from the tax place referred you. The number is (510)724-0233.
Posts: 1055 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hands down, the best shop is:

Premier Upholstery
3457 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95051
www.premierupholstery.com

Ask for Roth, he is the owner. They replaced my top and frame this year, turned out to be $1400 total but that was because of a lot of complexity with my car and a completely new frame. That's the max price you would hear of. For just a top replacement, it's much less. They've also done friends' cars that I've sent there and always do top quality work. It will look better than new. Tell them Mark Rhodes sent you.

-Mark

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94Blackout  Ford pictures for 94Blackout    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow, thanks man, he said he would charge a flat rate of 400 bucks (the place in Pinole). And he said the top I was gonna get is shit, so I gotta search for pricing on a better one.. lol. So anyone have any suggestions on WHERE ONLINE to buy tops?

Also, if anyone knows if someone might be able to beat that price, let me know too, but 400 seems pretty good!

Mark- I will give them a holler right now.

[ December 29, 2003, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: 94Blackout ]

--------------------

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

That Roth guy at Premier was cool on the phone, but he quoted me $1400 bucks just for a regular vinyl top and install! He wouldn't give me a quote over the phone, so I had to drive over there. And then when I said I have been quoted for half that, all he had to say was "thats how much it costs here."

Any other recommendations? This probably wont be getting done for another month or so..

--------------------

AZTECLX
¯
Member # 674

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZTECLX  Ford pictures for AZTECLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get a cloth top..Much better looking than the vinyl one.

Try this place out. I don’t know if they do good work or not but they have a 20% off special right now. It’s an upholster shop ..It’s right behind the Jack in the Box on Curtner… by the Church on top of the hill. Right when you get off from Guadalupe going south bound. Can’t hurt to go and get and estimate. Good luck.

--------------------
California Notary Public

If you have/need documents too be notarized..hit me up

Posts: 950 | From: San Jose... | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
send me a pm exactly what you need to get done a very good friend of mine has a kick ass upholstry (sp) shop over there in south city. through me you will get very resonable pricing with very high quality work. i only go to the best for my car. let me know..shaun [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

So I got the top, it is a black sailcloth vinyl, with a glass curtain for 290. Pretty good, and the material is heavyweight. I pondered the canvas, but for an extra 300 bucks I can't really see it in my budget (plus likely, this car won't be mine in 2-3 years anyways).

Still searchin up on shops, so let me know!

--------------------

rudeone707
¯
Member # 3457

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rudeone707  Ford pictures for rudeone707  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there is a good place out here in Fairfield. He is going to do my top in a couple months. My uncle had work done there in his denali, He put ostrich on the seats and suade on the ceiling and it came out relly nice. He quotes 480 for the labor and he has been in business for 50 years.

Bakers Upholstery
1654-B N Texas St
Fairfield, CA 94533
707 425 2558

--------------------
agp707.com

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

480 aint bad, but I'd be spending like 50 bucks in gas just getting to fairfield and back. =)

--------------------

outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much is your insurance deductible??

--------------------
CRYSTAL WHITE 1994 COBRA; TOTALED
RIO RED 1994 COBRA INDY PACE CAR; SOLD(now in VACAVILLE)
(#18 of 1000)
BLACK 2002 GT Vert' AUTO; GONE!

Posts: 635 | From: Stockton, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
rudeone707
¯
Member # 3457

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rudeone707  Ford pictures for rudeone707  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94Blackout:
480 aint bad, but I'd be spending like 50 bucks in gas just getting to fairfield and back. =)

i drove to oakland and back and only wasted a 1/4 tank. and we only have 14 gallon tanks the most i have spen to fill my car up was $25

--------------------
agp707.com

94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

quote:
Originally posted by outlawd94cobra:
How much is your insurance deductible??

I know where you are goin with that [Big Grin] , but its too late for that, and also my insurance is through the roof already, I don't need any rate jacks.

--------------------

outlawd94cobra
SR.CITIZEN
Member # 265

Ford Icon 10 posted      Profile for outlawd94cobra  Ford pictures for outlawd94cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Big Grin] Just trying to help.

--------------------
CRYSTAL WHITE 1994 COBRA; TOTALED
RIO RED 1994 COBRA INDY PACE CAR; SOLD(now in VACAVILLE)
(#18 of 1000)
BLACK 2002 GT Vert' AUTO; GONE!

Posts: 635 | From: Stockton, CA | Registered: May 2001  |  :
94Blackout
¯
Member # 2541

Oh, I know, if I didn't have 4 points on my driving record and a recent at fault accident [Eek!] , I would have done it.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com