Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » MIL Eliminator Question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: MIL Eliminator Question
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKLEEN/GT  Ford pictures for SIKLEEN/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok i used to have on my 01 GT a BBK off-road x-pipe with out MIL eliminators and my Service Engine light never went on.... Now i just intalled my MAC Longtube Headers and my light when on... i bought MIL eliminators thinking it would make the light turn off but it did not... What could be wrong? how do i find out what is triggering the check engine light?
Posts: 299 | From: Elk Grove, CA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have to get the codes pulled from the computer.
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SIKLEEN/GT  Ford pictures for SIKLEEN/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
stupid question but... how do i pull the codes? or do i have to take it to a shop to do it?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You need a code scanner that is OBDII compatible, 96+ Mustangs are all OBDII...You can buy a cheap one at a parts store OR pay $60++ for a mechanic to do it with a quality scanner....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
QWICK46
¯
Member # 1843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QWICK46  Ford pictures for QWICK46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you remember to reset your computer after installing your MIL eliminators?
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

on the instructions it said to diconnect the batery and install the MIL eliminators and i did... after they were installed i connected my battery and turned my car on... the light was off for a day then the next morning while i was driving it turned back on.
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you f***ed the car up...j/k.... just go to a good mechanic and have them see what codes are going off. its a lot cheaper [Wink]

[patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say you disconnect the battery once more but do both + n - terminals. The MIL instructions say only the - but the same happened to me so I just pulled the + too and it worked.

Now if that doesn't work for you then ask around dofferent shops but don't go to Ford dealerships. They charge like $119. You can get it done for $35-$65 some where else or buy your own scanner.
good luck

--------------------
Rest In Peace
Juan Moya "The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also make sure you tap the brakes while the battery is disconnected, and leave it disconnected for a few minutes. Capacitance in the system will keep enough voltage on the KAM pin for the ECU that it will retain its memory for up to half an hour with the battery disconnected. Tapping the brakes causes the brake lights to come on, discharging the power.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

well i tryed it about 3 days ago... i disconected both - and + and tapped on the break... it was off for maybe half a day then went back on then this morning on my way to work the service engine light was off so i was like cool it worked but on my way home it turned back on [Mad] ... i dont know. i give up im just gonna take it to a mechanic. thanx for all the feed back anywayz [patriot]
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay, first off...you will need a scanner. Ford dealerships, and mechanics will charge you an hour of diag labor. That can be costly, and it only takes about 5 minutes.

If you do not personally have access to a scanner, go to autozone, and they will do it for you for free. SOunds crazy, but my friend brings his car there all the time. All you need is the codes, and we can help from there.

Get in your car, drive to autozone, and bring us back the codes before you go pay out of your pocket for something that can be done for free. [patriot]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
bobbystang
¯
Member # 2747

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobbystang  Ford pictures for bobbystang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go to autozone they do it for free i work there and yah u should have reset the computer after u put the headers in

--------------------
99 cobra 3569-4040

mods: bunch of little things.

Posts: 83 | From: detroit, michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
carlos just get a custom burned chip from byron it will turn off the check engine light.the mils didn't turn off my light either.

--------------------
Raiders A's Warriors Sharks

SIKLEEN/GT
¯
Member # 2695

quote:
Originally posted by 281n/a:
carlos just get a custom burned chip from byron it will turn off the check engine light.the mils didn't turn off my light either.

I think imma have to do that... I went to autozone and they told me they no longer read the codes in CA... dumb question but... who is Byron and how can i get a hold of him and where is he located?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com