Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » anyone ever install a cluctch just with floor jack?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone ever install a cluctch just with floor jack?
GT.SPORTSALEEN93
¯
Member # 1768

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GT.SPORTSALEEN93  Ford pictures for GT.SPORTSALEEN93  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone ever install a clutch just with floor jack? how hard is it to install a clutch at home with lift just a floorjack?
ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did it about 2 months ago with just a floor jack, tires were off the ground about 5 or6 inches and it was a breeze.

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's not hard. The only thing you need the floor jack for is to get the car up on jackstands. I take the tranny in and out by hand. I personally think it's easier.
Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Hrly01Stng
¯
Member # 2843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrly01Stng  Ford pictures for Hrly01Stng    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just finished installing mine... Took a couple of hands but i got it done..

--------------------
HCI blower built shortblock 285ci

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would guess it's pretty hard with just a floorjack. You will probably need to use a few wrenches.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

ShiftyGT
¯
Member # 3862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShiftyGT  Ford pictures for ShiftyGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol...ya tools help. so do smokes and beer.

--------------------
1990 GT, Back in action

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Kragen's sells a transmission "mount" that fits in most standard floor jacks to make it a little safer pulling it out and putting it back it. It's about $50, and worth it if you pull the tranny out more than once in your lifetime.
Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
N0SL050
¯
Member # 2719

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N0SL050  Ford pictures for N0SL050    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like the last couple people said it's easy as hell i have done a couple in my drive way on jack stands try to have somebody there extra hands are always nice trying to get stuff lined up......good luck

--------------------
Kustom Auto Detailing

Posts: 460 | From: Martinez ,Ca | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
azl
¯
Member # 2112

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for azl  Ford pictures for azl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
since I didn't think I could safely manhandle the 100lb tranny assy. by myself, here's what I did:

Got the car high up on jack stands, then I got a spare tire donut/wheel and put that on the cup of the floor jack. Used the spare tire as a platform to support the tranny while backing it out and away from the block. Was kind of shitty, but worked. Next time, however, I will use a tranny jack.

--------------------
Daniel
94 canary yellow GT

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tiring but manageable

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just put the car up on jackstands, then use the floor jack under the tranny, it's not that bad to do. phil
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The trick is to remove the tranny in 2 pieces (tranny and bellhousing separate). You don't even need a jack if done this way, only to jack the car up to start with. Three hours, in and out. [Wink]
And since when did a T-5 assy weigh 100 lbs? [Razz]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
The trick is to remove the tranny in 2 pieces (tranny and bellhousing separate). You don't even need a jack if done this way, only to jack the car up to start with. Three hours, in and out. [Wink]
And since when did a T-5 assy weigh 100 lbs? [Razz]

I just did mine this way. It was VERY easy. Undid the 4 bolts from the trans to the bellhousing, slid the trans out. removed the bellhousing and starter and the clutch was right there. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com