Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » looking for a good engine building torque wrench.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: looking for a good engine building torque wrench.
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm building a 306 and i need a good torque wrench that is not too expensive. What would you guys recommened?
Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good and cheap are usually two words that don't go together when describing tools. Craftsmen is always the way to go when going inexpensive. Otherwise I'd get a Snap-on or Matco. But look to spend at least $200 for those two.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Good and cheap are usually two words that don't go together when describing tools. Craftsmen is always the way to go when going inexpensive. Otherwise I'd get a Snap-on or Matco. But look to spend at least $200 for those two.

I never said cheap. I want a quality torque wrench at a good price. If theres not then i will pay for the better one.
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My dad's got a couple snap on's. We've built lots and lots of them engine thingies too. [Wink]

I say just get a snap on, you'll prolly build more then one engine to use it too and you can build ur buddies engines...

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My boss has had his Snap-On torque wrench since he got out of the Air Force 30 years ago. It has only been calibrated once in that time, and is dead nuts accurate.

[ December 27, 2003, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: racercosmo ]

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bet we could get a Snap on guy to come to a cafords show and give us a fat discount [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Snap on [worship]

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

I was just looking on there site, they are about $210 [Eek!] If these are the only ones that are accurate then i'm going to have to fork over the money.
azl
¯
Member # 2112

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for azl  Ford pictures for azl    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you can get the Craftsman stuff for $100 or less, and they're good. However, you are building a multi thousand dollar engine. Might as well splurge on what's important (proper fastener torque being high on that list).

I've used Craftsman stuff and even the cheap Kragens TQ wrenches, they've all been good enough for me. They usually come with some certificate of accuracy/calibration.

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my craftsman wrench works great.
craftsman = [worship]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Honestly, for engine building the Craftsman torque wrench is fine. The ISO6789:1992 specification states that an adjustable torque wrench must meet or exceed an accuracy/repeatability of +/-4% of setting. Most any quality, brand name wrench will do that. In a production environment where the tool is being used for full shifts all day, every day a more expensive, durable wrench is desired simply for longevity and life duration. But if you are going to build an engine and then put it in your tool box to be used every now and again then the Craftsman is going to be your best bet for dollars to performance.

I've spent the last 9 years selling torque tools for a tool manufacturer in San Jose. That's ALL we do - torque. I have access to torque wrenches, screwdrivers, air tools and analyzing equipment and what did I use to torque down my heads? Craftsman. Of course the final torque values are confirmed with a digital meter accurate to +/-0.5% of reading [Big Grin]

Also, just so you know, Snap-On does not make their own wrenches. They are manufactured by a company called CDI (Consolidated Devices, Inc.) in City of Industry, California. If you can find a CDI wrench on eBay or something you can usually get it for less since it does not have the name recognition of Snap-On. But they are the same wrench.

Also, just as important as the quality and accuracy of the wrench is the operator and how he/she uses it. You need to hold the wrench properly. There is usually a line etched on the handle or a molded grip. This is the spot where you need to place your hand when pulling. If you move your hand then you are changing the length of the wrench in relation to the fulcrum point. This will alter the torque applied to the fastener. Then you need to take in to account if the fastener manufacturer calls for oil on the threads during assembly. Installing wet or dry will alter the final torque (actually tension but that's another class). Also, you need to pull the wrench in a slow, smooth fashion. Pulling to fast or hard will over torque the fastener. I proved to a local satellite manufacturer that their operators were applying about 10% too much torque to their multi million dollar space craft fasteners with their click wrenches because they were pulling too fast and not easing up just before it clicked.

Anyway, all this rambling means is that, when used correctly, the more economical wrenches will perform just as well as the Snap-On's (or Mountz, Inc.). Just take care of whatever you buy. And hey, if you need it checked out before you use it hit me up and I'll throw it on an analyzer and confirm it for you [Wink] .

Sean

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Okay, which one of you felching dick weasels stole my Snap-On 3/8 drive in/lb torque wrench? [Wink]
Nobody in the shop claims to have it, so it must be one of you guys.
Seriously, this is weird. I got a new toolbox for Christmas, so I was moving tools over this morning, and I can't find my 3/8" torque wrench.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com