Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How do you like your aluminum flywheel?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How do you like your aluminum flywheel?
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whats up everyone,
I was wondering if you could give me feedback on your aluminum flywheel. Such as idle issues, drivability issues etc. I am thinking about an aluminum flywheel to go along with my new clutch, but I don't want it if it will give me a lot of problems. This is going on a 98 cobra w/ vortech. Thanks! [patriot]

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Aluminum flywheels are transparent in their operation. There aren't any driveability or idles issues at all.
The big improvement that they offer is faster spin-up of the engine, which is especially noticeable if you do heel-and-toe downshifting.
I don't see any downside to an aluminum flywheel at all, and we install them all the time. They especially work well on DOHC Cobras because of their 7k rpm capability.
For your '98, the flywheel is $341.96 (reg. $379.95)

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i am gonna go with a alumunum flywheel on my 96 mostly cause i am gonna be sqweezin 150-250 shot and it doesnt shock the driveline parts as hard when you launch at high rpms i will be ordering mine from APEX MOTORSPORTS in a few days

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
R.M.I cylinder head fabrication
408 986 8626

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i believe the heavier steel flywheels are superior for drag racing when flat-shifting, or power-shifting techniques are used. the flywheel's inertia is used to store energy during a shift and when leaving from a complete stop. the aluminum flywheel has very little inertia compared to the steel unit so clutches will wear out faster which is a BIG bonus for the shop that does the installs...

for road racing, the low inertia of the aluminum unit makes slowing down for the turns much easier than with the heavy steel unit.

driving in heavy traffic with an aluminum flywheel seems like it would be a nightmare.

i don't use one, but i took college physics.

Personally, i would want something with a bit more torque than your average cobra before buying road-racing parts for a drag car.

i'd be careful listening to mechanics/salesmen that are trying to sell you parts when gathering advice on upgrades.

i don't have anything to sell.
my advice is free and worth every penny!

[ December 18, 2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Elapid ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's a dyno-queen trick for an extra couple HP [Razz]

if you can powershift *well* in a 1/4 mile it should be kind of a push in terms of performance (steel vs. aluminum vs stock)

If you can't, the heavier flywheel will only help you at the launch, but most cars are traction limited not power limited at the launch so that isn't necessarily an advantage except in a low HP car. Otherwise the aluminum flywheel should be quicker at all points.

There are certainly better places to spend your money, IMHO, since the aluminum flywheel should have some mild drawbacks (especially with a *grabby* or stiff clutch)

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Elapid:
...the aluminum flywheel has very little inertia compared to the steel unit so clutches will wear out faster which is a BIG bonus for the shop that does the installs...

driving in heavy traffic with an aluminum flywheel seems like it would be a nightmare.

We haven't seen any clutch longevity issues with aluminum flywheels, even on Mustangs that are raced. We've had some customers with 70k+ miles on their aluminum flywheels, and when it comes time to change the clutch, the flywheel just needs to be resurfaced like normal. Nothing special, and no abnormal wear at all.
Driving in traffic with an aluminum flywheel is no different than with a steel flywheel, at least with our setup. I've had aluminum flywheels in my last three Mustangs, and they all have driven like stock. And we install them all the time, and I haven't had anyone say that they didn't like it.
I agree with you that a drag car's flywheel should be heavier for retained inertia, but on a street car that gets raced around town, our customer's seem to really like them.

[ December 18, 2003, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Bill/APEX Motorsports ]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for all the replies guys, I appreciate all your comments. In my situation, the advantage of having it spin up faster is a big plus. I don't drag race often, maybe 3-4 times a year. After taking everyones opinions into consideration, I guess the final determining factor would be to drive one with an aluminum flywheel to actually see how it feels. Thanks again!
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have the billet one from ford racing works good [Big Grin]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com