Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Check Engine !!!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Check Engine !!!!!
98snaketool
¯
Member # 1294

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 98snaketool  Ford pictures for 98snaketool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 98 cobra with only 30k on the motor and the check engine light came on today. The car seems to be running fine. It had a tune-up (Sparks etc.)last december. Oil is fine. Should I be worried and take it in right away or is there any home remedies you guys might know of. Does it just need another tune-up??? Its nagging at me, any insight/ideas would be appreciated.
[Mad] - Brian

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The codes need to be pulled to see why it threw the check engine light on.

--------------------
Support our troops!

98snaketool
¯
Member # 1294

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98snaketool  Ford pictures for 98snaketool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much should that run me. And can you explain what you mean be "the codes". Thanx
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When something isn't running right the computer will throw out a "code" or message and in turn will turn the check engine light on, it's the engines way of telling you something isn't working right. If you dont have a code puller then you need to take it down somewhere to have it done and I have no idea how much they would charge you for that because I never take my car anywhere to have it worked on.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shops charge a min of 1 hour to pull the codes...so it can be anywhere between 90-130 $ at least to tell what is wrong with the car

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I usually just pull codes at work, (another perk of working at a car dealership in the shop)....many times, I've been told you can go to autozone, and they'll do it for you for free with thier scanner.

I'd head to autozone if I was you, bring a piece of paper, and write everything down they tell you. Untill then, we really can not be of ANY assistance.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
or you can run a jumper wire to your eec and start the car and the check engine light will flash.

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, ive used the jumper wire method, and it worked ok.
Kragen sells a $40 deal that will display what codes are being output on a LCD

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by white1990stang:
or you can run a jumper wire to your eec and start the car and the check engine light will flash.

this is generally the way to go. you have to know what the codes mean though; I'm sure you can find somewhere on the internet (or probably a Hayne's manual) that tells you what the codes are and how to interpret them.

I've heard that AutoZone was sued for checking the codes for free cuz the dealerships and tune-up shops complained it was taking away from their business. but [Confused]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by zpyro35:
quote:
Originally posted by white1990stang:

this is generally the way to go. you have to know what the codes mean though; I'm sure you can find somewhere on the internet (or probably a Hayne's manual) that tells you what the codes are and how to interpret them.

I've heard that AutoZone was sued for checking the codes for free cuz the dealerships and tune-up shops complained it was taking away from their business. but [Confused]

Yup, they are not doing it anymore. At least not the one on Capitol/Story in San Jose.
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where are you from, I have code scanner.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where are you located? Im in the Sac area, I'm a Ford tech. I can fix it right the first time for a reasonalbe price.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

98snaketool
¯
Member # 1294

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98snaketool  Ford pictures for 98snaketool    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The check engine light went off two days later and has not come on since. Is this normal and should it stay on if there is something really wrong. Should I still check it out or might it be just a wiring glitch. Also I'm in Ny right now, but I appreciate the offers guys.
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd still have it checked out. The CEL dosen't come on for nothing. It could help you avoid future problems.

--------------------
"Don't Drive Faster Than your Guardian Angel Can Fly..... Well My Guardian Angel Can Fly Pretty Fuc*ing Fast!!!"

bobbystang
¯
Member # 2747

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobbystang  Ford pictures for bobbystang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
autozone for free i work there tehy'll take care of you

--------------------
99 cobra 3569-4040

mods: bunch of little things.

Posts: 83 | From: detroit, michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you like your car don't take it to Autozone. They have a "scantool" which pulls DTC's, but that's it. There's so much more to it. Yeah sure a guy who works at Autozone with barely and automotive knowlege can pull codes, but ask him to interpret them. He'll either try to sell you parts you don't need or give you some off the wall explaination. Just take it to a dealership or a reputable independent shop that specializes in Mustangs or Fords. It will cost you a little, but atleast your car will be fixed right.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com