Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » fuel problems

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: fuel problems
blue88lx
¯
Member # 2970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue88lx  Ford pictures for blue88lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car won't start! I've changed the Fuel Filter still nothing. When I turn the key I can hear the fuel pump buzz for about 4 seconds. Also while trying to start it I can smell gas fumes coming from under the hood. What should I check before I drop the Tank? Thanks for the help!
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
find out the source of the gas fuems before you do anything else.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check to see if theres fuel leaking on the intake.look around where the injectors go into the intake,if there is replace the o-rings aroung the injectors.

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Oval:
Check to see if theres fuel leaking on the intake.look around where the injectors go into the intake,if there is replace the o-rings aroung the injectors.

I would also agree with this staement, as well as finding your fuel leak first. It's obvious that your leak is causing a no start condition, and until you find that, you are not only creating a mechanical problem, but possibly a safety hazard as well.

The o-rings are simple to change and far from expensive if that is the case.

Find your source, and just hope that it is something simple.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
blue88lx
¯
Member # 2970

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blue88lx  Ford pictures for blue88lx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only time I smell the fumes is when Im turning the engine over constantly. I'll try to locate the smell but do you think it's the screens in the tank thats keeping it from starting?
NORTHERN TOYS
¯
Member # 3819

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NORTHERN TOYS  Ford pictures for NORTHERN TOYS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Doubt that the screens in the tank are giving you any problem.
You say that you only smell the fuel after you have been turning the car over for a bit.
After you have turned the car over for a bit, look under the car and see if there is any fuel on the ground or dripping.
How do you know the fuel smell is coming from the front?
I have seen a few cars that have had a fuel line melt on the exhasut at the back.
It is a good chance that the fuel line has a leak in it some where in the feed line.
Did you start having a fuel problem befire or after you changed the fuel filter?

blue88lx
¯
Member # 2970

That fuel smell was coming from the Exhaust. I had the problen before I changed the filter. I was driving home from work and just gotten off the freeway. After coming to a stop the car would jerk as though it was running out of fuel. I was able to get it home by touch the gas pedal very soft and let it slowly build speed. Once I got home and cut it off it wouldn't start. I just went out and move the distributor and it started for a second.
blue88lx
¯
Member # 2970

Think it could be the Timing Chain?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com