Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Wheel spacers on sn95

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Wheel spacers on sn95
QwikStang
¯
Member # 2933

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QwikStang  Ford pictures for QwikStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I saw a mustang on the corral that had 1" spacers for the wheels to make the rear tires come out to the fender. Anyone know the technical name for these? Where can I get them? Any online resources?

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
95 GT Vert
1 of 2,584

Where there is no patrol car, there is no speed limit.
http://www.cardomain.com/id/qwikstang

Posts: 573 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The technical name = wheels spacers. I know you can get some at Pep Boys. If you want some real nice looking ones you can find them online, but nobody's ever going to see your wheel spacers really, so I don't think it matters.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
QwikStang
¯
Member # 2933

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QwikStang  Ford pictures for QwikStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks. I typed in wheel spacers and found a few companies. My next question would be, what size do you think I should get? I have 18x8.5 saleen wheels with 285/35/18 tires. Would 1 1/4" be too much for the front? Would 1 1/2" be too much for the rear? Hard to tell from these pics but the tires don't even come close to the fenders. Click below for a pic of my car....

http://www.californiafords.com/images/shows/06_28_03/DSC04259.JPG

http://www.californiafords.com/images/shows/06_28_03/DSC04251.JPG

--------------------
95 GT Vert
1 of 2,584

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think if you do an inch or more you will need longer wheel studs. You might want to measure the distance between the edge of your tire and the fender and see how much room you have in there. You also have to consider that when you turn your body will roll and the fender will get closer to your tire and may rub. There's a good chance that the other guy rolled his fenders on his car.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by STOKED:
I would stay away from wheel spacers on the front, last thing you want is a wheel to come off from vibrations from a front spacer and loose your wheel on the freeway. And if your going to put a wheel spacer that is 1/4inc or bigger on the back, make sure you get a hub-centric wheel spacer. This just means that it puts the load of the wheel on the hub instead of the studs... much better design. Some spacers come with studs already in them so you can use the stock studs... but ff you don't use the spacers with studs in them you'll need to press in the ARPs studs that are close to 4 incs long.

With these H&Rs you won't need new studs with their setup. Check it out http://www.maximummotorsports.com/spacers.asp If you car is lowered with a wide wheel and spacers in the back... you might get alot of fender rubbing... I know I did... [burnout]

[patriot]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
QwikStang
¯
Member # 2933

Thanks. I think I can manage keeping them off the front. I will pick up hub centric spacers for the rear and see how I like them. Thanks for the info!

--------------------
95 GT Vert
1 of 2,584

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had MM CNC machined aluminum 1/4" wheel spacers on all four of my wheels [Wink] ....1/4" spacers are still short enough to engage enough stud threads for the wheel nut to be flush with the end of the stud...

I talked to MM when I ordered them about using them on the front...The sales rep told me that they pile them on the front of their race car, and mostly use 2x 1/4" spacers on the front...

The MM ones are machined perfectly for the 4 or 5 lug pattern of a Mustang...The Mr.Gasket ones you can buy at Pep Boys and Kragen are universal ones that can slide around on the wheel studs and dont come close to a good fit....

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com