Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » tire tuck in front?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: tire tuck in front?
bobbystang
¯
Member # 2747

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobbystang  Ford pictures for bobbystang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey guys i was just wondering, when i got my 00' R rims, on the front they are pushin out a little bit. My buddy says when i get an alignment done they can tuck them in. is that true, or what other solutions do i have to get them tucked in.

--------------------
99 cobra 3569-4040

mods: bunch of little things.

Posts: 83 | From: detroit, michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The wheel off-set on the 00 R wheel is a hefty 6.12" backspacing...They are disigned that way to for better cornering...

The only way I can think of by "tucking the tires" is running a lot of negative camber...Negative camber is when the top of the wheel lean inward compared to the bottom of the wheel....If you run too much neg camber you will wear the inside of your tires out really fast...If you run a moderate amount of neg camber you can increase your cornering, but you have to watch and see how the tire is wearing...

Do you have caster camber plates?...Are they just bad looking to you or are they rubbing?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
z pyro
¯
Member # 3745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for z pyro  Ford pictures for z pyro    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol, are they as bad as those guys who drive cadillacs on 6" rims set a foot away from the car? [Razz]

--------------------
'95 Integra LS
'08 Buell XB12R Firebolt
'65 Mustang 289 - soon to be 306

Posts: 1732 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had those '00 R wheels on my '97 for about 1 week before i took them off and sold them. they looked real funny to me in the front. the rear sits fine, but the front is awful. i think its a bad idea for your friend to suggest that "you tucked in the tire." i know how that wheel sticks out and in order to tuck it in, it needs a lot of negative camber in the front. a new set of tire will wear out prematurely real quick. theres nothing you can do about it really.

those wheels were designed for the 99-up stangs and i think the BS for the front doesnt effect them that much, lookwise that is.

[ November 25, 2003, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: stangin' ]

bobbystang
¯
Member # 2747

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bobbystang  Ford pictures for bobbystang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alright, thanks for the opinions it is a 1999 cobra by teh way.

--------------------
99 cobra 3569-4040

mods: bunch of little things.

Posts: 83 | From: detroit, michigan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com