Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Will i make it into the 12's????

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Will i make it into the 12's????
Tryin2GoFast
¯
Member # 3166

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tryin2GoFast  Ford pictures for Tryin2GoFast    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a new combo waiting to go in that consists of: Gt-40 irons/E-cam/Cobra intake.
Before i take the car to the track next time i will have installed all this stuff: CAI, Pulley's, shortie headers, 1.6 RR, AFPR, 65mm tb, offroad-H, catback, 2500 stall convertor, and a mild shift kit.
I took the car to the track once with just 3.55 gears and everythign else stock including the stock stall convertor. I didnt stall the engine at all and the best time i cut was a 14.9 @ 94.

So after all the mods i have listed above, what kind of gains could i expect in HP/TQ numbers and can i dip myself into the 12's?

--------------------
89 Notchback with H/C/I Totaled 5/04
90 Black LX Hatch 310/330 AFR/Perfromer/FTI Gettin sydways in a lane near you!

Posts: 278 | From: Fremont, Ca | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Tryin2GoFast
¯
Member # 3166

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tryin2GoFast  Ford pictures for Tryin2GoFast    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh yea, im about to go to the store. What kind of spark plugs should i pick up?

--------------------

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you should hit high 15s for sure [Big Grin] J/K
DRIVINFST
¯
Member # 2430

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRIVINFST  Ford pictures for DRIVINFST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Add some nitrous. [Smile]
Posts: 555 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it depends on how much your car weighs

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I doubt youll be able to get that into the 12's. Hopefully someone will disagree with me. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
tell the parts guy you have a '93-95 cobra when looking for spark plugs, I forget the # of hand you need for GT-40 iron heads. I think you can run a 12, but that stall might be on the small side. How high can you launch holding it with the brake?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
tell the parts guy you have a '93-95 cobra when looking for spark plugs, I forget the # of hand you need for GT-40 iron heads. I think you can run a 12, but that stall might be on the small side. How high can you launch holding it with the brake?

764 autolites

[ November 13, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: MR GO FAST ]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
I think you can run a 12.

On street tires or slicks??? I dont think it can be done on street tires and he didnt say anything about having slicks.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Tryin2GoFast
¯
Member # 3166

On drag radails mostl likely unless i pick up a set of slicks before i head up to the track. With the stall i will be able hold the brake and rev to 2500 without breaking the tires loose. It is an 89 notch, so it should weigh a tab more than 3k lbs.

--------------------

PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are the heads/ intake box stock? Do you still have 3:55's or have you upgraded? I think with 3:73's/4:10's and the right tires (slicks) you can do it, but it will be VERY close...
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tryin2GoFast:
On drag radails mostl likely unless i pick up a set of slicks before i head up to the track. With the stall i will be able hold the brake and rev to 2500 without breaking the tires loose. It is an 89 notch, so it should weigh a tab more than 3k lbs.

same combo here except for 1.70 rockers and 373 gears.
I hit 12.90 once on the motor. I was in the hood of 13.10-13.30's. I had a 92 notch a well with a 3000 stall hughes (nonlockup)converter

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

If you haven't already installed the converter send or take it back and don't go with anything under 3,000. With a 3,000 stall and drag radials you should get into the 12's.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Tryin2GoFast
¯
Member # 3166

Should i stick with the 1.6 RR or go with 1.7s??? I am thinking about getting a 100 shot wet kit from nx, now that you guys put all this doubt in my mind. haha. Oh yea i like my gear ratio because i drive all over and my gas mileage is bad now so i dont want my freeway mileage to go down even more(around 15MPG now).

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

quote:
Should i stick with the 1.6 RR or go with 1.7s??? I am thinking about getting a 100 shot wet kit from nx, now that you guys put all this doubt in my mind. haha. Oh yea i like my gear ratio because i drive all over and my gas mileage is bad now so i dont want my freeway mileage to go down even more(around 15MPG now).

LAUGHING GAS [patriot]

--------------------

Tryin2GoFast
¯
Member # 3166

Should I go with a mild port job on the heads instead of the NOS? Initial cost is about the same but their benefits are way different. Dammnit i just want a 12.XX timeslip

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get the 100 Shot from NX and you will have a 12.xx slip no doubt.

--------------------
Support our troops!

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Yeah, get that 100 shot and you'll be in the 12's all day long. [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

quote:
Should i stick with the 1.6 RR or go with 1.7s???

I have a set of FMS 1.72 roller rockers. Theyre blue anodized aluminum. Let me know if youre interested. Oh wait, are your heads for stud mount rockers or pedestal mount?

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com