Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Drive shaft safety loop> which one?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Drive shaft safety loop> which one?
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am about to order a drive shaft safety loop but am not sure which one to get. I found one on summit.com and its made by FRP> but> it says that its only for up to a 98 mustang...nothting for a 99 GT. Any ideas what is not too expensive but will work well?
Thanks for any help.
[Big Grin]

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=262

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got mine through summit. I had to call them and they looked it up.
Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:
http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=262

This one is fine.
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
White95GT
¯
Member # 1915

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for White95GT  Ford pictures for White95GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lakewood
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Any loop, correctly placed, should work. The only job of a loop is to make sure you don't pole vault the car down the track if it should break. I run one similar to the UPR because it's big enough to fit around the FMS aluminum driveshaft. The lakewood is not(something to keep in mind).

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Right on guys> thanks for the replies! Did you have to take out your seats to install these loops? I am running the stock steel driveshaft> I do have a Griggs aluminum drive shaft but was afraid that I may tweak it with launching on slicks.
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:
Right on guys> thanks for the replies! Did you have to take out your seats to install these loops? I am running the stock steel driveshaft> I do have a Griggs aluminum drive shaft but was afraid that I may tweak it with launching on slicks.

Yes you need to remove the seats to install the bolts unless you weld it in. You shouldn't "tweak" your DS if your pinion angle is set properly.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah I think you should throw on the driveshaft as well [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You know> I hear you> but........
Im not sure how to set the drive shaft angle because theyre not adjustable. I have the Mega bite Jr. lower control arms> its only an upper and lower setting. I will be changing them to the lower setting and adding 2 spacers. I then have the FMS uppers. I was thinking about getting some adjustable uppers but am not sure. I do know that with this setup Lidio at Alternative auto pulls some killer times> he claims that its very a very simple setup> but is very effective.

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run the Lakewood D/S Loop with the FMS Aluminum D/S in my 98 Cobra with no difficulties.

edit: oops! I still have the steel d/s in the 90

[ November 12, 2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Elapid ]

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

I am concerned about launching with an aluminum drive shaft> I think I feel safer with the steel.
I will be doing 4500 trans brake launches> with 600+rwhp.

John91coupe
CAFords OG
Member # 18

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for John91coupe  Ford pictures for John91coupe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WIKD 281:
I am concerned about launching with an aluminum drive shaft> I think I feel safer with the steel.
I will be doing 4500 trans brake launches> with 600+rwhp.

Not to worry. There are cars with a bit more HP then that and having no problems with the FMS aluminum shaft and high RPM launches. 4500 with an auto is not that high anyway.

[ November 13, 2003, 06:42 AM: Message edited by: John91coupe ]

--------------------
D-2R ProCharged R302 331
1.410 60 ft.
5.784 @ 122.92 1/8
8.953 @ 155.08
MM&FF Feature June 2003

Posts: 1361 | From: Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  :
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

If im not mistaken> is the FMS drive shaft a little thicker/stronger than the Griggs drive shaft? I have the Griggs drive shaft and I think its 3.5"???? Not sure> but> my drawback to that is I would have to lengthen the drive shaft to make it work with my AOD. I think I will be running on the steel drive shaft for now but I might change it back to the aluminum.
Thanks for the insight guys [Big Grin]

--------------------
----------------------------------
Faster than most, slower than less.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com