Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Looking for exhaust advice

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Looking for exhaust advice
QWICK46
¯
Member # 1843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QWICK46  Ford pictures for QWICK46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm thinking I'll be doing my exhaust next, and I'm looking for advice.

First, I'm planning on going with something simple, just a mid pipe & catback. I know there are big gains to be had with long-tubes, but I don't really want to go through having to drop the K-Member, and then having to swap them out with the factory manifolds whenever the time comes for smog.

Anyway, I've been thinking of going with a Prochamber, and Magnaflow catback, or Magnaflow Catted X and Magnaflow catback. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me which pipe gives the best gain, if anyone knows.

Also, I'm well aware that you run the Prochamber at the risk of severe fines if you should ever run into the wrong officer. Just how loud would the Prochamber & Magnaflow combo be? Would it be loud enough to tip off the alert officer that maybe he should check for catalytic converters? I usually drive sanely on the street, but my car has already on occasion caught unwanted attention from police, and I'm not really looking to give them a reason to pull me over if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance,

--------------------
Michael
'02 GT ~ sold for a Big, Slow Dodge Ram
'03 SV650S
'04 R1100S ~ The daily driver

Vndcatr
CAFords OG
Member # 2343

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vndcatr  Ford pictures for Vndcatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ay dude whats up, hey u should ask alexis he has my old prochamber and magna packs... soudns actually pretty damn good... kinda deep not raspy at all.. i used to have the prochamber but actually ran into 1 of those prick cops and uh ya got a ticket with 2 chambers dumped on em... but ask alexis to hear em ...

--------------------
Built 01 cobra
400 rwhp
11.7@117mph , 1.62 60ft

Posts: 1066 | From: Sacramento,Ca | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bassani, hands down the best pipe and mufflers [worship]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
QWICK46
¯
Member # 1843

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for QWICK46  Ford pictures for QWICK46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Kevin,

Knowing about your experience with the police actually made me hold off exhaust for a couple months and get the C&L plenum setup while I tried to decide what I wanted to do.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the ticket? I was imagining a couple thousand dollars, isn't the fine something like $1000 per cat? That thought is what's steering me toward a catted pipe, but I really originally wanted a Prochamber, and still do. And why did the cop check for cats in the first place? Did he pull you over for a traffic violation, and decide to check, or did hill pull you over simply because he heard your exhaust.

If you don't want to answer publicly, I understand. If you would P.M. me, I'd appreciate it. I'd really like to hear your story before I make a decision on whether I'll go with the Prochamber or not.

Thanks man,

Bill/APEX Motorsports
¯
Member # 636

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Ford pictures for Bill/APEX Motorsports  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm a Bassani dealer and offer a 10% discount to CAFords members! We hear all sorts of exhaust combinations, and I agree that Bassani sounds the best.
Call (408-562-1000), PM, or bill@apexmotorsports.com for more info. Thanks!
[burnout]

[ November 08, 2003, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Bill/APEX Motorsports ]

--------------------
Bill Kaiser
APEX Motorsports
Santa Clara
www.apexmotorsports.com
408-562-1000
bill@apexmotorsports.com

Posts: 488 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Vndcatr
CAFords OG
Member # 2343

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vndcatr  Ford pictures for Vndcatr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chiara:
Hey Kevin,

Knowing about your experience with the police actually made me hold off exhaust for a couple months and get the C&L plenum setup while I tried to decide what I wanted to do.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the ticket? I was imagining a couple thousand dollars, isn't the fine something like $1000 per cat? That thought is what's steering me toward a catted pipe, but I really originally wanted a Prochamber, and still do. And why did the cop check for cats in the first place? Did he pull you over for a traffic violation, and decide to check, or did hill pull you over simply because he heard your exhaust.

If you don't want to answer publicly, I understand. If you would P.M. me, I'd appreciate it. I'd really like to hear your story before I make a decision on whether I'll go with the Prochamber or not.

Thanks man,

No i dont mind at all.. k it was me and like 6 other guys from sacstangs rollen, in a lil group .. and he was just picken on us .. we were only going about 35 on sunrise,.. he cut off ryan and got behind me and lit me up,.. he said he pulled me over for not having tailpipes.

So then he looked under my car , asked to pop my hood,blah blah.. get this everything was dropped cuz i got it fixed and signed off except the smog fine which i think they cut it in half cuz i took all the proper measures.. it was only a 650 fine.. i duno wierd but im not complaining.... he woulda never got me if i had my tailpipes in.. but im a "dumps" kinda guy. got dumps again right now, but now i just never go into roseville.

The prochamber adds alot of power dyno proven, i dynoed my car n/a with the prochamber and 2 chamber dumps along with my other mods and i was sitten around 315 with other mods ofcourse.. but it sounds good too, id highly recommend it over any x or h pipe. as for catback, thats on u, ive had just about every exhaust set up u can think of, so if u need any help buying that shit lemme know, send me a pm on our site and ill roll down there and help ya . -kevin

--------------------
Built 01 cobra
400 rwhp
11.7@117mph , 1.62 60ft

Posts: 1066 | From: Sacramento,Ca | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
QWICK46
¯
Member # 1843

Thanks Kevin, that makes me feel a lot more comfortable with the thought that I can get the Prochamber & not have to worry too much about being at risk of dealing with high fines in the future.

I'll just keep my factory H in the garage and swap it back in when it comes time to smog.

Bill, thanks for the recommendation, but I've really had my heart set on trying out the Prochamber/Magnaflow combo for some time. I know the quality of Mac's products don't hold a candle to the stainless Bassani's, but I've heard this combo, really love it, and think when price is factored in, its a reasonable trade off. If I eventually go the Bassani route, you'll be the first I call.

[ November 09, 2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Chiara ]

--------------------
Michael
'03 SV650S

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My vote is on the prochamber, thats what I will be running when I can get up enough do to finish my car! Best HP gains I've seen on a car, MAC even patened it so no one can copy it [Eek!]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Hater
¯
Member # 3085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hater  Ford pictures for Hater    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Magnaflow Xpipe with hiflow cats and Magnaflow catback (Magnapack) sound awesome,,deep sound and quite on the inside// [Big Grin]
QWICK46
¯
Member # 1843

Thanks everybody, I just ordered a Magnaflow catback today, and got in touch with a buddy from another site for a used Prochamber. Hopefully I'll have it all installed within a couple weeks. I'll let you all know how I like it after I get it together.

--------------------
Michael
'03 SV650S

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com