Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tremec Tko

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tremec Tko
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was thinking about buying a Tremec tko and mcleod clutch. The reason why i wanted to buy it is because i plan on doing H/C/I and more nitrous on my car. My clutch is slipping right now. Should i wait till i have the money for the tko or buy the clutch now and buy another one when i can buy both?
Posts: 543 | From: Orange county, Ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustangt  Ford pictures for 93mustangt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car should make around 450-500 rwhp on nitrous. would the 3550 tremec be fine? Would the stock style clutch fit the 3550? I will be launching my car on slicks.
TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93mustangt:
I was thinking about buying a Tremec tko and mcleod clutch. The reason why i wanted to buy it is because i plan on doing H/C/I and more nitrous on my car. My clutch is slipping right now. Should i wait till i have the money for the tko or buy the clutch now and buy another one when i can buy both?

I would forego the McLeod clutch and get a Spec stage 3. I was running a McLeod clutch and it would slip on the bottle. My Spec stage 3 hasn't given me ANY problem with slipage. I am also running a TKO

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

Does the 3550 tranny take the stock style clutch? or does it require a different clutch like the tko?
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the standard 3550 takes a regular clutch, not like the TKO.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

If i were to buy a new clutch it would fit the 3550 when the time comes? What all would i have to change to get the 3550 to fit?
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 95 had 466rwhp and a mcleod and a 3550 and it was the shit!!! No problems and the clutch will work on your tranny now and the 3550.
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for a 3550 to fit all you have to do is grind the welds off of the tubes at the end of the tranny brace so it can slide farther back.

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

93mustangt
¯
Member # 680

quote:
Originally posted by TheBrain:
quote:
Originally posted by 93mustangt:

I would forego the McLeod clutch and get a Spec stage 3. I was running a McLeod clutch and it would slip on the bottle. My Spec stage 3 hasn't given me ANY problem with slipage. I am also running a TKO
Really? I think thats the first i've heard of that. I have heard nothing but good with mcleod. I've heard more stories about spec slipping than mcleod. This car is a daily driver what do you think my best bet would be?

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com