Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4.30 gears?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4.30 gears?
Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was driving down the freeway last night in a 96 cobra I just bought and I noticed I was at 3,000 rpm at 80 mph in 5th gear, So I called a gear shop and they had some "tech sheet" on gears and they said with the size tires I am running 245/45R17 and the speed I was going I had 4.30 gears, does that sound about right?
Posts: 2173 | From: Tracy, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the same size tires and turn 3k at 80mph on the stock tach and have 4.10s

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
Unregistered
¯
Member # 786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Unregistered  Ford pictures for Unregistered    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It sounds like 4.10's to me.
Posts: 1785 | From: Livermore | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The gear calculator I used says 4.30s, however stock tachs aren't always accurate.

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The RaceSystems Peformance Calculator software is good for this kind of stuff:

http://www.racesystems.com/perfcalc/

To use it to solve your problem, run the porgram and click tire/grear.

RPM= 3000

MPH = 80

Tire diameter = 26" (you really need to accurately measure this with a ruler yourself)

The gear ratio it'll give you is 2.9.

Remember this is the final drive gear ratio and:

Final drive gear ratio = rear end gear ratio X tranny gear ratio

In this case your tranny ratio is 0.67 in 5th gear so we have:

2.9 = rear end gear ratio X 0.67

thus

rear end gear ratio = 2.9 / 0.67

giving us

rear end gear ratio = 4.30

Now normally I would have just done the math and replied with a simple "4.30's if the numbers you gave me are correct" and not bothered revealing the secret to my mojo [Wink]

RO2USH
¯
Member # 2002

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RO2USH  Ford pictures for RO2USH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Suffice it to say, you don't have stock gears. I would say that you probably have 4.10's, but, like he said, Stock Tach's aren't always right. The only way you are really going to be able to tell is by opening up your diff, and counting the teeth. As long as your speedo is corrected for the gears, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

--------------------
2002 Roush FR500
2004 Cobra
1965 GT 350 Clone
2003 Ducati 999

Posts: 286 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
aint no secret [patriot]

[ November 06, 2003, 02:03 PM: Message edited by: stoauto ]

Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RO2USH:
The only way you are really going to be able to tell is by opening up your diff, and counting the teeth. As long as your speedo is corrected for the gears, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Opening the diff, counting teeth and dividing the #'s into each other is the only way of knowing for sure. If he doesn't want to do that, he can use the gear calculator and check it by getting under the car(jacked and supported by stands) and turning one of the rear wheels 1 complete rotation and counting how many revolutions the driveshaft makes(a little over 4 turns=4.10s a little over 4 and a quarter turns=4.30s).

[ November 06, 2003, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Blu50Stang ]

--------------------
Ross
'17 GT350R

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 8 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have 4.30s...

[ November 06, 2003, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10 or 4.30--don't fear the gear right? Its got alot of balls off the line that all I have to say!
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

quote:
Originally posted by SteedaGT:
4.10 or 4.30--don't fear the gear right? Its got alot of balls off the line that all I have to say!

If you fear the gear, we can trade rear ends(your 4.whatevers for my 3.27s) [Big Grin] [burnout] [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
Ross
'17 GT350R

Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

HA HA HA nope [Razz]

Also ross just ordered the steeda G-track suspension

[ November 06, 2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: SteedaGT ]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com