Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 62mm throttle body instal...quick question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 62mm throttle body instal...quick question
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm about to put my throttle body on the cobra, and need to know what to set the tps at. Any tricks I should know about? Or anything I should or shouldn't do??

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just screw it on, it'll be fine....

Check the TPS voltage after about the 3rd or 4th start up...The computer should be able to read WOT and calibrate itself correctly...

Voltage should be around .996-.998v

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, put everything on....and when I open the throttle blades, either by pulling on the cable, or pushing the pedal....there is a slight delay, maybe one second or so, and then it revs the engine.

I now have a check engine light, and the vehicle is basically undrivable.

When placing the tps onto the new throttle body, I think I may have heard a slight snapping sound.

Chilton manual says to check the terminals for regular change in resistance when turning throttle blade, on the terminal that pretains to the brown wire w/ white tracer and gray wire w/ a white tracer.

When I preform that, I get OL....open loop. These are the TP, and signal return. yet if I test ohms between signal return, and vref (the bottom connection) I get a steady 4.37 omhs.

Does this mean my tps sensor is broken or what? I'm so lost at this point. Please help!

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you heard a "snap" you probably did brake something...Sounds like you fucked up the TPS itself...Take the TPS off and inspect it, you should be able to turn the inside of the sensor just like the throttle blade would if it were on the throttle body...Make sure that you line up the slots on the sensor with the blade on the throttle body..

I'm not sure how to read the resistance in the sensor itself with OHMs....The EEC reads TPS voltage, see if you can check the voltage like I mentioned in my previous post (.996-.998 at idle)...

Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery whenever you are working on the car....Disconnect the battery anyway to see if it helps with your problem too... [patriot]

--------------------

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

correct, it does read volts, but in order to test the unit itself, you must disconnect the harness from the tps itself, and test the three terminals that are in the sensor. You test the resistance between the top two, as you slowly open the blade. This tests the unit itself, not the output of the unit.

Like I said, I THINK I heard a noise...I was so tired (my frist mistake, working on it when i was tired) ans stressed out at the time, I just blew it off and it going into place.

The inside does in fact turn like the blade would turn the unit, but it's got some initial play in it that just seems a bit loose.

I'll most likely be picking up a new tps tomorrow if I can find one, and giving it a try.

Anyone else have ideas??

--------------------

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 4.X ohms tells me you're not using the multi meter correctly. You can't set the TPS on '94+ EEC's. The computer sets it. It sounds like your idle stop screw is off though.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Hey man, dont feel bad....I was installing a TB on Brians (TRY2PAZ) old supercharged 99 red GT...I was tired too, I thought how easy it is to install a 70mm TB on a little 281...I tried to figure out why I couldnt install it...I finally figured out that it was manufactured completely backward...BBK had installed the throttle linkage upsidedown. [Roll Eyes] ...Another reason I hate BBK....

Let us know what happens when you get the new TPS... [patriot]

--------------------

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
The 4.X ohms tells me you're not using the multi meter correctly. You can't set the TPS on '94+ EEC's. The computer sets it. It sounds like your idle stop screw is off though.

I'M NOT SETTING THE TPS! [Mad] [Razz]

I was TESTING the unit...this is how you do it!

The 4.x ohms is NOT a correct measurement for what I was attempting, but that is how you test the unit itself, on or off the vehicle.

i realize they are non adjustable, that is why I was testing the unit, to make sure it was working properly.

I'll be finidng a new tps tomorrow, and keep everyone posted.

As for the screw...you may be right....I'll check it out tomorrow...back to bed for me!

--------------------

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go to future ford. they had one for my old car when i fucked it up (dropped the throttle body right on the sensor [Roll Eyes] ). that and if you look in the back of the max, youll see a nice one sitting there under the hood. i belive its in cosmetic too. just do a little swap [Wink]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
go to future ford. they had one for my old car when i fucked it up (dropped the throttle body right on the sensor [Roll Eyes] ). that and if you look in the back of the max, youll see a nice one sitting there under the hood. i belive its in cosmetic too. just do a little swap [Wink]

funny you mention that, I have the sensor in my pocket and I'm leaving in about 10 minutes. [patriot] POOR BACON.

--------------------

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A lot of people have had idle/driveability issues with the BBK throttle body for some reason or another... Chris (STOKED) is running one on his Cobra without any problems, so you might want to send him a PM for help if the problem doesn't get solved...

With that said above, unless you're running an aftermarket intake (ported/shorten runner), a bigger/single bore throttle body is a waste IMHO... The stock twin 57mm flows more than enough for most N/A and boosted applications... That guy on the corral with the 5.4 DOHC Navi motor in his 97 Cobra was running the stock TB and making over 400+rwhp... Just something to keep in mind...

Later... [burnout]

[ November 06, 2003, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com