Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Gears question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Gears question
nineeightstang
¯
Member # 2685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineeightstang  Ford pictures for nineeightstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are installing new gears(ring and pinion) really that hard because i've torn down a couple of older rear ends in class(integral and drop-out) and it didn't seem that hard but shops charge a lot to do it. I have a 98 GT and am planning on 3:73s.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The only thing thats hard is getting the correct back lash...Thats what most installers mess up...That can cuase a whine or overheated gears

As long as you shim it correctly and use some grease to make sure that the gears are "meshing" correctly it should be really easy... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
The only thing thats hard is getting the correct back lash...Thats what most installers mess up...That can cuase a whine or overheated gears

As long as you shim it correctly and use some grease to make sure that the gears are "meshing" correctly it should be really easy... [patriot]

backlash and pinion depth are what you are trying to achieve, and then when you get that all done then you have pinion bearing preload, and carrier bearing preload to add also..... [Razz]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ON N2O:
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:

backlash and pinion depth are what you are trying to achieve, and then when you get that all done then you have pinion bearing preload, and carrier bearing preload to add also..... [Razz]
OK its not that easy, I guess it depends on your machanical skill...If you do plan on installing the gears yourself make sure you have the correct tools!...A pinion depth gauge, micrometer and Magnetic base and stand for dial indicator will add to the expense of the gears if you dont already have them...Depending if you're a mechanic, you're probably only gonna use those tools once to do the gear install...

Try this:
http://www.corral.net/tech/drivetrain/gears.html

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Saint
¯
Member # 2746

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint  Ford pictures for Saint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i did my own gears and i didnt do it right. they whine alot when i down shift. other than that they r ok i guess....they r going on like 5k miles now and still ahvent broke

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com