Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » how hard is it to fix a oil leak from a valve cover?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: how hard is it to fix a oil leak from a valve cover?
Strictly5.0MSR032
¯
Member # 2781

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strictly5.0MSR032  Ford pictures for Strictly5.0MSR032    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when getting my headers installed my machanic pointed out to me that i had a oil leak from the passanger side valve cover. i am taking it in to ford on monday, but the thing is, this is going to be like the third time i take it to ford for the same thing. what is wrong here ? is there someting that could be cuaseing this? or is it that fords machanics cant do a good job and fix it. this is the first time i'm taking it with the blower on, i hope they dont give me any problems. has anyone taken their car with a blower to ford and had any problems? or they dont trip?

--------------------
2001 Mustang GT
Vortech SuperCharger w/ Aftercooler
42lbs injectors
255 fuel pump
and all the bolt ons

Posts: 99 | From: San Jose, Ca | Registered: May 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I suggest learning to work on your car yourself... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
I suggest learning to work on your car yourself... [patriot]

agreed....but it happens I guess.

Replacing the passenger side valve cover gasket is so sooo simple. Just a quick few bolts, and simple hand tools, a new gasket, and you're done. That's it. Unless you have some sort of crack in the valve cover, or a warped cover....there isn't anything you can do except install them correctly.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
Joooestang66
¯
Member # 2828

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joooestang66  Ford pictures for Joooestang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm a Ford Mechanic and I take that personally. There are some techs out there who are good for LOF's and tire rotations and thats it, but 90% of them know what they're doing. I think you should take Black 94 5.0's suggestion.........learn how to wrench on your own ride! Header install on any mod-powered Mustang isn't exactly cake, but it can be done in a driveway. A leaking valve cover on your car is uncommon, but instead of throwing gaskets at it, YOU might want to pull it off yourself and inspect the valve cover face where it seals against the head and go from there. I challenge you to remove the 6 8mm bolts that hold that cover on and get your hands dirty! Your car may have all the "bolt-ons", for whatever they're worth, but im pretty sure all you did was fork over the $$$$$!
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Joooestang66:
I'm a Ford Mechanic and I take that personally. There are some techs out there who are good for LOF's and tire rotations and thats it, but 90% of them know what they're doing. I think you should take Black 94 5.0's suggestion.........learn how to wrench on your own ride! Header install on any mod-powered Mustang isn't exactly cake, but it can be done in a driveway. A leaking valve cover on your car is uncommon, but instead of throwing gaskets at it, YOU might want to pull it off yourself and inspect the valve cover face where it seals against the head and go from there. I challenge you to remove the 6 8mm bolts that hold that cover on and get your hands dirty! Your car may have all the "bolt-ons", for whatever they're worth, but im pretty sure all you did was fork over the $$$$$!

This is true, check the valve covers yourself. Not hard AT ALL!!

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i can help u if u want to learn how to do it. just PM me if u want

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com