Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 13" Cobra Brakes

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 13" Cobra Brakes
Turtlehead
¯
Member # 3256

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for Turtlehead  Ford pictures for Turtlehead    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Swapping to 5 lug on my 87', got all the goods from a 96 Roush Stage 1, and would like to go with 13" brakes in the front. Is it as simple as new rotors and Cobra calipers? Any help appreciated. Any unforseen problems? Thanks [Confused]
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you have the 5 lug on there, then its cake.
Basically changing the 2 main bolts that hold the calpier on, and putting on a new banjo bolts with washers. MAke sur eyou bleed your whole system, and that your wheels will clear [Wink]

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Once you have SN95 spindles, brake upgrades are so much easier. Yes all you have to do is swap rotors and calipers.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You'll need to install the SN95 spindles on your '87 to get the Cobra brakes on there. If you are using the spindles from the '96 then just be aware that they will push your wheels out a bit more and you may have rubbing issues on the front fenders. The 96+ have a bit wider track than the 94-95. You will need to roll/flare your fenders a bit.

You'll also need to either adapt the Cobra passenger side brake line to fit on to your Fox hard lines or just order Fox braided lines from Max Motorsports and use the Cobra banjo bolt on them to mount them to the caliper.

To get the Cobra brakes on the SN95 spindles you will need the 13" rotor, Cobra caliper and the caliper mounting bracket. The bracket is different as it moves the caliper out to clear the 13" rotor and also the Cobra caliper mounts to the bracket with a pin and clip rather than with bolts. The mounting bracket can be a bitch to find and an even bigger bitch to pay for when you see the price!

You can read about the 5-lug swap using SN95 spindles and drum rear on my web page. Click on the link in my sig and then follow the 5-lug swap link at the bottom of the first page.

Sean.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Turtlehead
¯
Member # 3256

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turtlehead  Ford pictures for Turtlehead    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am aware that the front will be slightly wider with the 96+ spindles, but with 8" wheels there shouln't be any problem. Unfortunatly the rear axles I have are from a 2001 and just found out they are about 1.4" wider that stock! Earlier axles are onlt .75" wider. Will these axles work with the rest of the 96' stuff and 8" wheels, or do I need to find 95/96 axles? Thanks
1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://sn95brakes.cjb.net/

This site has everything to do the conversion.

http://www.discbrakesrus.com/

They have all the parts here.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com