Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » BFG Drags...Flat Repaired...Safe for track?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: BFG Drags...Flat Repaired...Safe for track?
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my bfg's have less then 2/32ths of tread on them one of the tires just got flat from a nail i had it patched up but will it be safe to run at the track in sac this weekend for the last grudge night of the year or should i get new ones..? thanks [patriot] if it is ....can i do a normal burn out or just enough to get the first layer of rubber off? [Confused] [burnout]
Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a plug in my street tires. I used to smoke em up, take em up to 150mph. No problems.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90FoX:
can i do a normal burn out or just enough to get the first layer of rubber off? [Confused] [burnout]

There's only one way to find out! [Wink] ....

I think you should be ok with a patched tire...Unless any of the steel cords got broken, from the nail, the tier will be fine....

Good luck at the track. [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Fast472Mach1
¯
Member # 2559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast472Mach1  Ford pictures for Fast472Mach1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The patch is inside the tire. Nowhere on the tread. Its not going to change anything on your burnout.

--------------------
11.7@116 1.7 60ft. N/A
11.4@124 1.9 60ft. 100NX

Posts: 639 | From: Laguna West | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok well i thought he was puttin a patch on it but he used a plug... does that make a difference?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont trust tire plugs....You have to stab the tire with a T handle, which has a bigger diameter than a little nail...Most likely broke some of the steel cords in the tire....

Just take a spare tire to the track [Wink] ....I think that most likely you will get a slow leak after you leave the track...

--------------------

RO2USH
¯
Member # 2002

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RO2USH  Ford pictures for RO2USH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would say it's safe as long as you aren't going above 130mph. I wouldn't risk it above that speed. Tire plugs are supposed to be good, but just watch out on the burnouts. Have somebody looking at the tire for you after you burnout, and see if it looks like you are loosing a lot of air fast. if you are, don't race, the plug is loose, and if you loose it half track, you will really LOOSE it.

--------------------
2002 Roush FR500
2004 Cobra
1965 GT 350 Clone
2003 Ducati 999

Posts: 286 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

hmm well i would hate to crash my car because of a 150 dollar tire i might just do a phat ass burn out and burn these tires till they are bald ....and just put the new ones i ordered today on ... i was hoping to be able to use these till they are gone... any suggestions on what i should do with thesE...?

rob- sup man how have you been i tried callin you a couple times ...probably busy...are you planning on getting another stang in the future?

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Originally posted by 90FoX:

rob- sup man how have you been i tried callin you a couple times ...probably busy...are you planning on getting another stang in the future?

Hell yeah Raj!... I plan on getting another Mustang as soon as I can, but it will have to wait until I can get my wife an SUV....

When we gonna hit up LeMans with Sunny and your brother again?....I love beating sunny, he makes me laugh! [Big Grin]

--------------------

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Was the plug put on the inside or outside? The outside ones are crap but the ones on the inside work great. I patched and plugged my buddies car in two spots and we drove it all the way to sd and back and the tire was pretty bald but it was still holding air like a champ

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In order to be safe, the tire needs to have a special radial plug installed from the inside and then patched after. This will keep the tire from seperating. This process is rarely done and I would be surprised if two shops did this in the same city.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey manny that is what I did with my buddies tire. Plugged and patched.

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
Hey manny that is what I did with my buddies tire. Plugged and patched.

thats why you are the man...hey could you hook me up with about 125 of your horsepower? I running mighty low on it... [Big Grin] oh wait im not even running forget it [Mad]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Yeah there you go. I am trying to find the missing 30-40rwhp that the car is suppose to have

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com