Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Backfiring F-150

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Backfiring F-150
ilikefastcars
¯
Member # 3479

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for ilikefastcars  Ford pictures for ilikefastcars    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I followed the link for the I Love Mustangs thread here from www.zcar.com I think the thread is pretty funny. Anyway, I have a 99 F-150 with the 4.2. It backfires when I accelerate. First I pulled the injectors and took them to a shop to be cleaned and tested. When that didn't cure it I pulled the heads thinking that maybe a busted valve spring was causing the burn to blow by on the power stroke. All the springs were good. Then I pulled the front cover and checked the cam. That was in time and no slack in the chain. I'm still getting the backfire. The exhaust was replaced 25,000 miles ago by me due to leaks and a broke exhaust manifold. The engine doesn't use a drop of oil. I even did a complete tune up new plugs, wires, filters, oil, coil/distributor pack. The fuel injection timing and spark timing is controlled by the ECU and there were no codes present. Any ideas? This really has me stumped because it's fuel injected and not carbureted. Honestly this is the first late model fuel injected ECU controlled vehicle I've seen backfire. That's why I assumed it was a hard part. How do I figure out if it's a line of code or a sensor? I even replaced the timing sensor on the crank and the oxygen sensor. To be blunt I have reached the point where I am throwing parts at it. Can anyone suggest a more scientific approach?
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when does it back fire
at idle, on the road, or when you let off he gas ?

also does it back fire from the intake or exhaust

how many miles does it have

and whats the last thing you did to it before it started to back fire

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
ilikefastcars
¯
Member # 3479

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilikefastcars  Ford pictures for ilikefastcars    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 99gt-UJSTLST:
when does it back fire
at idle, on the road, or when you let off he gas ?

also does it back fire from the intake or exhaust

how many miles does it have

and whats the last thing you did to it before it started to back fire

It backfires loudly evertime I accelerate. Kind of embarrassing actually. It sounds like it's coming off the left (drivers side) bank exhaust.

It has 85,000 miles on it.

It started to backfire right after I towed a 8,000 lb trailer from Dallas to Oklahoma City. I thought maybe I bent or broke or warped something but every part I took off I checked with a Snap-On straight edge, feeler gauge, or a dial gauge. Everything seems fine. I left it out of overdrive, ran the engine at 3,000 rpm, used the cruise control, and watched my gauges. Truck didn't even come close to overheating.

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does it "hesitate" when accelerating? I have never heard of backfire when accelerating before. What about your fuel system? filter maybe...hopfully its something easy.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry, I dont know much about the 4.2 V6 engine, but when an engine back fires the main cuases are bad timming or an exhaust leak....

Check and see if all the smog equiment is working..Like the EGR and the diverter valves comming off the air/smog pump...

Good luck! [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
ilikefastcars
¯
Member # 3479

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ilikefastcars  Ford pictures for ilikefastcars    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK, I'll check the smog stuff. Life was easier before cars had this stuff. When I accelerate the engine stumbles and then theres a loud bang/pop noise and then the truck accelerates like normal. I changed the fuel filter 1,000 miles ago. It's a Motorcraft just like everything else on the truck. I've used Super Premium gasoline since new because I tow and haul frequently with this truck. I only use factory replacement parts so it kind of surprises me that the truck acts like this. This truck doesn't even have a distributor I can turn to fiddle with the timing. The timing is controlled by the ECU right?
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by ilikefastcars:
OK, I'll check the smog stuff. Life was easier before cars had this stuff. When I accelerate the engine stumbles and then theres a loud bang/pop noise and then the truck accelerates like normal. I changed the fuel filter 1,000 miles ago. It's a Motorcraft just like everything else on the truck. I've used Super Premium gasoline since new because I tow and haul frequently with this truck. I only use factory replacement parts so it kind of surprises me that the truck acts like this. This truck doesn't even have a distributor I can turn to fiddle with the timing. The timing is controlled by the ECU right?

one more thing to try is the fuel pump, maybe its not working properly, and your not getting enough fuel

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
ilikefastcars
¯
Member # 3479

That's a good idea! I'll put a pressure tester on the Schraeder valve and see what it says. If I post the PSI will somebody here be able to tell e if it's good? I don't have a specification book for my truck.
ilikefastcars
¯
Member # 3479

OK, the trucks fuel pump makes 58 psi from idle to redline. I ran the truck for twenty minutes and monitored it just to be sure. Is this enough fuel pressure?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Have you checked the computer for codes? I'm not familiar with your engine, but overly retarded ignition timing will cause back fire durring acceleration. does your motor even have a distributor?
S4OSHUS
¯
Member # 2918

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S4OSHUS  Ford pictures for S4OSHUS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
load test your ignition coil. put it in drive and step on brakes at the same time and load it up and see it it starts missing. try that also.

--------------------
2001 audi s4 avant stage 3. 460 whp e85
2001 audi S4 stage 3 sold!
91 lx 347 sold!
90 lx notchback sold!
99 cobra sold!

ilikefastcars
¯
Member # 3479

No coil and no distributor. It's that coil pack thing. I wanted to turn the distributor to see if that made it go away but I couldn't. The distributorless ignition coil pack is brand new Motorcraft. I replaced it just for the heck of it. Along with new plugs and wires. The ECU has no codes. I even checked all the fuses. I also disconnected the battery and taped both terminals together overnight to give the ECU a hard boot.
S4OSHUS
¯
Member # 2918

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S4OSHUS  Ford pictures for S4OSHUS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe you flattened a camlobe on your cam!

--------------------
2001 audi s4 avant stage 3. 460 whp e85
2001 audi S4 stage 3 sold!
91 lx 347 sold!
90 lx notchback sold!
99 cobra sold!

ilikefastcars
¯
Member # 3479

Is there any way to check for that without pulling the cam out of the engine?
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You really went overkill on the ECU. Simply disconnecting it for ~20 seconds is more than enough. You could have a dead or weak coil pack.... but its really just guess work until you pull the codes from the computer.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com