Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Back fire and huge cloud of smoke???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Back fire and huge cloud of smoke???
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 11 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well since i got my hci combo i would get a backfire when just cruising down a hill at about 3000 giving it no throttle. Lotsa little pops. well inbetween shifts i would get a big backfire. some pepole thought it was just puddled fuel inbetween shifts. Dyno tuned by byron 13.0-1 af across the board. Well now inbetween my hard shifts i get a nice big white cloud out of the exhaust also..

How worried should i be? My car does consume a little water but not much.

Thanks for any help E

Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol the byron tune is the problem lol

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the computer for codes, check for vacuum leaks.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Retard the timming and check the smog pump diverter valves...

My car used to do that ALLLL the time...I couldnt de-acclerate anywhere without a nice backfire...When I removed the smog pump and all the hoses the backfires COMPLETELY stoped!..... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
Retard the timming and check the smog pump diverter valves...

My car used to do that ALLLL the time...I couldnt de-acclerate anywhere without a nice backfire...When I removed the smog pump and all the hoses the backfires COMPLETELY stoped!..... [patriot]

so when you removed the smog pump and the hoses, did you plug the holes in back of the heads?and if so what did you use?

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well what did u get done at HCI? [Confused]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry for hijacking the thread GOT50..

Eddie, I used some rubber freeze plugs that I got from Kragen...The ones I got have a nut on one end, when you tighten it the rubber expands on the freeze plugs....I used one on the smog tube comming off the H-pipe and one from the smog tube comming out the back of the heads...I left the one way diverter valve that screws on to the cylinder head smog pump pipe so that no hot air what-so-ever touches the rubber freeze plugs...I never had any problems.... [patriot]

--------------------

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
could this account for the large amount of white smoke. Roughly a cloud the size of my car?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

I would do a compression check, just to make sure everything is ok machanically first...Then you can look into other things...

Do you have any excess oil in the intake?...

--------------------

GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did due to the fact i removed the baffle off the pasenger side valve cover. Recently p[lugged it and installed a breather..

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com