Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » gear ratio in my cobra

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gear ratio in my cobra
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, I'm basically at the point where I believe 4.10's are the right choice.

I'll be putting these in my 98 cobra. It's basically exauhst and a couple small bolt ons....nitrous, and going to be blown within 6 months. Unfortunatley..I can not really afford to go crazy N/A (even though that's what I'd rather do)...

Keep the nitrous and blower in mind when dropping suggestions.

I've heard anything from 3.73 (no thanks) to 4.56's... [Eek!]

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
also, what gear correction will I be using for each ratio? thanks!

--------------------

racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with 4.10s if this is a daily driver mainly. The Abbott speedo corrector is what I use.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My opinion goes like this....

NA: 4.56's
Nitrous: 4.30's
Blower: 4.10's

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:

what about twin turbos??? [Confused]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by ON N2O:
quote:

You and I think ALOT alike [patriot] If I could find a kit with a carb # on, it would be on the car in no time [Frown] .

So, yeah, if you see one, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know! wooooooooooooooooshhhhhh

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you will STAY N/A go with 4.56s. i currently have them on my cobra. it's not as bad as you think with these 4V motors. i still get 20-21mpg. i had 4.10s, but after a year or so it felt like it wasn't enough gear. if you want to compromise, 4.30s should be good.

with 4.10s my best was a 13.4 @104.5xx with a 1.999 60ft. i haven't had the chance to test out the 4.56s yet.

the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by stangin':
if you will STAY N/A go with 4.56s. i currently have them on my cobra. it's not as bad as you think with these 4V motors. i still get 20-21mpg. i had 4.10s, but after a year or so it felt like it wasn't enough gear. if you want to compromise, 4.30s should be good.

with 4.10s my best was a 13.4 @104.5xx with a 1.999 60ft. i haven't had the chance to test out the 4.56s yet.

very interesting....the car is unfortunately not going to stay n/a for too long. What was on the car with the 13.4@104 pass??

--------------------

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
410s if its going to have a poweradder

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
QUOTE]very interesting....the car is unfortunately not going to stay n/a for too long. What was on the car with the 13.4@104 pass?? [/QB][/QUOTE]

mods were:

4.10s
borla xr-1 catback
dr. gas o/r x-pipe
steeda pulleys
UPR powerpipe

dynoed about a yr or so ago and it made 287rwhp and 276twtrq.

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
quote:
Originally posted by ON N2O:
quote:

You and I think ALOT alike [patriot] If I could find a kit with a carb # on, it would be on the car in no time [Frown] .

So, yeah, if you see one, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know! wooooooooooooooooshhhhhh

well i got my TDC kit, and it doesnt have a carb # but oh well....

Carb kits were made by incon. Pwr4all3 has one for sale. brand new he was saying and all coated.... check it out and do it.

then we can be twin turbo brothers [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

oh wait you got a 98.... twin turbo kit for your cobra [Wink] thank me later [Razz]

--------------------

J's DDLY SNK
¯
Member # 2016

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for J's DDLY SNK  Ford pictures for J's DDLY SNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I say go with the 4.10's if a blower is around the corner.

I went with 4.30's because I plan on keeping it N/A for a while.

Good Luck

--------------------
Rest In Peace
Juan Moya "The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05
We Will Never Forget You

Rev Happy
¯
Member # 661

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rev Happy  Ford pictures for Rev Happy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What are your plans for the car? Meaning do you plan on racing it at the track a lot, or just mainly pimping it on the street? On the street you will have absolutely no traction with 4.10s + and a blower unless you're on E.T. streets... Just something to think about if you're not going to take it to the track a lot...

I run 4.30s in my N/A Cobra and have basically all the bolt-ons except headers... On the street, its fine as I usually just cruise in 5th... On the highway, the gears keep me from speeding as I like having the tach around/under 3000rpm...(80mph) Plus my car is pretty low in the front so not speeding keeps the car from getting jumpy on the bumps in the road... If I was putting a blower on my car now, I would definetly step down from 4.30s since I wouldn't be going to the track all the time... I would probably put in 3.73s or 3.90s...

later,

-Mike

[ October 13, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Rev Happy ]

--------------------
96 Cobra

Posts: 182 | From: Southern California | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
97 slobra
Member # 3494

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97 slobra  Ford pictures for 97 slobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so what gear ratio would u recomend to get the best performane 3:73, 4:10, or 4:30 runnin with a 100 shot
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 97 slobra:
so what gear ratio would u recomend to get the best performane 3:73, 4:10, or 4:30 runnin with a 100 shot

4.30's for sure.
97 slobra
Member # 3494

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 97 slobra  Ford pictures for 97 slobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
will 4;10 be good enough cause from what ive heard 4;30s will be to much for some what daily driving
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ask those that say "4.30's are too much" if they've actually driven a 4.30 geared DOHC 4.6 before.

So far two people on this thread have driven a 4.30 geared DOHC car and said its fine.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com