Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4.10 gears!!?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 4.10 gears!!?
msj484
¯
Member # 1341

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for msj484  Ford pictures for msj484  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey all i am getting 4.10 gears. i have read alot of info and reviews about them. it looks like the accel is GREAT, and it will be at high rpm at about 75 mph, which will help me with my speeding tickets on the freeway. i want to get this done tomorrow. is this possible. where is there a shop in the bayarea that will do it, and where can i get gears the fast? thankx.
Posts: 270 | From: San Pablo, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn homie you want 4:10 gears. I have em and shit they suck. I waste hella gas!!!! When I'm on the freeway my shit is reving at like 3,000 rpm. I mean they are tight on the street but if it's your daily driver don't get em. Hella people say they have em but do they drive on the freeway? Probably not! It's up to you it's just what I think
msj484
¯
Member # 1341

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for msj484  Ford pictures for msj484  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lol. now u r scaring me. yes i do driveo nthe freeway, and i race alot on the freeway, too. but the main reason is that i beat alot of people on the street. but then when i race like camaro's and 5.0's with mods. they beat me. i want something to make me just jump off the line. i hear 4.10's will do it. i was going to get 3.73's but i hear its not much difference. i also hear get 3.90's. i just want faster accel on the street, and not get killed at top end. i think 4'10's will b good for me, cuz i wont speed as much on the freewya also.
h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 4.10's with a t5-z and get 23 mpg!
I don't think that is bad at all!

msj484
¯
Member # 1341

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for msj484  Ford pictures for msj484  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
where can i find some fms 4.10 gears ASAP? please let me know. also is the any place in the eastbay that does good installs. thankx.
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
didn't we already discuss this [Confused]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by msj484:
where can i find some fms 4.10 gears ASAP? please let me know. also is the any place in the eastbay that does good installs. thankx.

trust me..dont get the 4.10s. they are a nightmare! ull hate it

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Cobrar96
¯
Member # 3050

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobrar96  Ford pictures for Cobrar96  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10's work well with high reving cobra motor!! Dont worry about gas millege, the fun factor is satisfying with new gears and you wont be dissapointed.
kwikrob
¯
Member # 835

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kwikrob  Ford pictures for kwikrob    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know of 2 good shops. Rear End Specialties in Santa Clara or Differential Doctors in San Leandro. I have used them both and never had a problem yet.

--------------------
Slowest car on this board!

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got 4.10s on a T5 and I love them.

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with 3.90's! [patriot]

--------------------
Support our troops!

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had 4.10's in my 98 Cobra and I loved it. Drove to work 90 miles round trip a lot working graveyard (no traffic). My gas milage when not hard on the car was about 20-21 mpg. The gears rocked and were the best mod for the car. If you want good gas milage get a hybrid [Wink]

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
DON'T get 4:10's. I have them and the gas milege sucks! U don't get no 20 mpg!!!! I have a 89 Gt. Get 3:73's
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NorCalRydaz:
DON'T get 4:10's. I have them and the gas milege sucks! U don't get no 20 mpg!!!! I have a 89 Gt. Get 3:73's

dont listen to this fool.
if you drive normal your mileage will be fine.
but if your that concerned with gas mileage, save your money and get a daily driver.

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 3.73's and they are great if you have to do ALOT of freeway driving. But I dont travel that far (24 miles) anymore....so im defintely gonna upgrade to 4.10's w/o a doubt. my friend has 4.30's in his Cobra and he doesnt even think its that bad and thats his daily driven car. [Big Grin]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
msj484
¯
Member # 1341

hello all,

i do have a dailey driver that i use for work and stuff. the stang is just my toy. i listened to u guys and got my 4.10's today. the gears will be installed on friday. the shop told me that i cant go over 45 mph for 200 miles, lol wow. also he said that i couldnt realy race for 200 mile either. but i did get 4.10's now i gotta worry about getting my mph gauge working. i already have a chip in the car, cant i get it burned on there? if so where can i get it done. thank all.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am assuming you had your gears installed in your 89' 5.0. To get your speedo calibrated to your 4.10's you have to buy a speedo gear. It goes in the tail shaft of your transmission. Go pick up a mustang mag and look at all the vendors inside. Many places sell them, I ended up ordering myne from Steeda.

When I had my gears installed I did about four or five heat cycles(drive for about ten minutes and let them heat up and then let them cool down)I was racing at Sacramento Raceway that night.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91sleeper:
I am assuming you had your gears installed in your 89' 5.0. To get your speedo calibrated to your 4.10's you have to buy a speedo gear. It goes in the tail shaft of your transmission. Go pick up a mustang mag and look at all the vendors inside. Many places sell them, I ended up ordering myne from Steeda.

When I had my gears installed I did about four or five heat cycles(drive for about ten minutes and let them heat up and then let them cool down)I was racing at Sacramento Raceway that night.

To get your speedo calibrated to your 4.10's you have to buy a speedo gear........HOw much are they i got 4:10's but my speddo cable is broke, i need a new one. so i need somthing special with the gears i got?thanks eddie. and how much they go for?

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

msj484
¯
Member # 1341

hello,

i actually have a 2000 GT, i dont have a 89 n e more. but i know that i have to get a speedo gear, but i already got a chip in my car. cant i get it reburnt to instead of getting a speedo gear? also u said that you said that i can do 4 or 5 heat cycles. wut is that, cuz i will need to drive my car 40 miles back home that day. please help. thankx all.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

quote:
Originally posted by msj484:
hello,

i actually have a 2000 GT, i dont have a 89 n e more. but i know that i have to get a speedo gear, but i already got a chip in my car. cant i get it reburnt to instead of getting a speedo gear? also u said that you said that i can do 4 or 5 heat cycles. wut is that, cuz i will need to drive my car 40 miles back home that day. please help. thankx all.

You should be able to get your chip re-burned for the 4.10 gears so that the speedo will be corrected.

If I were you I would drive on the freeway for about 10 minutes and then exit and let the car cool down for about 20 minutes. Do that four or five times and consider your gears broken in. All this is doing is tempering the metal to make them stronger.

--------------------
Support our troops!

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have to break in gears damn ive never done that lol. Havent had a problem yet.

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

msj484
¯
Member # 1341

hello all,

thankx so much for your help.i really need to find someone to do that burning for me, where could i find somewhere in the bay area to reburn my ship. please help. thankx again all.

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What chip is currently in the car now? Usually if you want to have the chip reburned you must send it back to the manufacturer. A lot of people go to Byron over at Apex to have there car dyno tuned and a custom burned chip made there. That might be your best bet.

--------------------
Support our troops!

msj484
¯
Member # 1341

ok,

who is that guy? where is he located? how much does that cost? how long does it take? does it really help my car? thankx for al your help and patience everyone.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com