Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » gears

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: gears
kennym01
¯
Member # 3355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym01  Ford pictures for kennym01        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thinking about getting new gears for my 01' gt and looking for some feedback. Should I go with 3.73 or 3.55? Thanks for the input...
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by kennym01:
Thinking about getting new gears for my 01' gt and looking for some feedback. Should I go with 3.73 or 3.55? Thanks for the input...

3.73 or 4.10's

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10's if N/A and not too worried about an extra 500 rpm or so at freeway speed

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4:30's if you plan on going to the track [worship]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
chronicsmokin281
¯
Member # 1649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chronicsmokin281  Ford pictures for chronicsmokin281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
should of asked 3.73 or 3.90!!! but i'll go with 4.10's!
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
3.73 would work great

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

chronicsmokin281
¯
Member # 1649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chronicsmokin281  Ford pictures for chronicsmokin281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got 3.73's right now in my 2002 but wish i have gotten 3.90's with better traction! dont get me wrong from stock to 3.73's i felt the difference and its worth the money!!!
TRY2PAZ
¯
Member # 97

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRY2PAZ  Ford pictures for TRY2PAZ  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by chronicsmokin281:
i got 3.73's right now in my 2002 but wish i have gotten 3.90's with better traction! dont get me wrong from stock to 3.73's i felt the difference and its worth the money!!!

Do you have any before and after times?

I personally like the stock 3:27's. They are the best gear all around.
My N/A Gt has gone in the 13.2 range with them. If you don't do a lot of freeway driving, then I would go 3:90 or 4:10.

--------------------
http://www.fnsweet.com/pics/events/sj_gtg_1020/sj_gtg1020_30.jpg

Posts: 4033 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
kennym01
¯
Member # 3355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennym01  Ford pictures for kennym01        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have any times yet. Just looking for a little extra kick. I'm also about to add my tri ax shifter.
kennym01
¯
Member # 3355

quote:
I don't have any times yet. Just looking for a little extra kick. I'm also about to add my tri ax shifter.

Sounds like 3.90 or 4.10's might be the way to go. What adjustment to the speedo will I need to do? Speed cal?
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Sounds like 3.90 or 4.10's might be the way to go. What adjustment to the speedo will I need to do? Speed cal?
speedo gear will need to be replace. Like 12 bucks. I vote for at LEAST 373's [patriot]
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[/qb][/QUOTE]speedo gear will need to be replace. Like 12 bucks. I vote for at LEAST 373's [patriot] [/QB][/QUOTE

i don't think you can change the gear i think you need a speedcal or a chip

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
JDUB07~~For the newer 99+ Stangs with the digital odo's you should get the Dallas Mustang, Speed Cal box....For the older non digital odo's (like your 89)you can just buy a speedo gear...

I think I would go with at least 3.73's or maybe a set of 4.10's [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh. Well that makes sence. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't even read what year the car was. Even if I did I would have still said speedo gear though,...DHOE!

Still in the learning process! [Big Grin]

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

you were on the right track [Big Grin] ....blame it on technology [patriot]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

msj484
¯
Member # 1341

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for msj484  Ford pictures for msj484  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hello,

do you guys think that 3.73 gears are good for a freeway driver or a daily driver? also where is ther a good place in the bayarea to buy gears for a god a price, and a place that will do them, while knowing wut they r doin?

Posts: 270 | From: San Pablo, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
kennym01
¯
Member # 3355

O.K. so I got a good price on some gears so where can get installed for a good price? Thanks for the help....
msj484
¯
Member # 1341

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for msj484  Ford pictures for msj484  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey im going to this place on friday all diferential doctors in san leandro. there price was pretty coo. im posed to get my 4.10's installed on friday, ill let u know how it turns out. later.
Posts: 270 | From: San Pablo, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

let me know how ya like em...so maybe i can see first hand how it feels sometime

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

mostang
¯
Member # 3352

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mostang  Ford pictures for mostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got my 99 out of the shop tonight and while they were replacing all the bearings and ring/pinion due to contamination I had them swap out the stock 3.27 for some 3.73's. Got a little more punch off the line. My ? is, when you swap out the gears don't they also send the new speedo gear to go with it? I was doing 70-75 on the freeway (that's what the speedo said) but people were still passing me like I was doing 65. If the new speedo gear is put in do I still have to have it recalibrated for 3.73's. I didn't have it for over a week and don't really want to have to leave it at the shop another night. Anyone in Castro Valley want to help me out?? [patriot]

--------------------
99 GT ragtop, Flows, True Flow drop in and 3.73's
1985 Caprice Classic Very Tired 305

Posts: 182 | From: Castro Valley, originally Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

for the newer stangs you need either a speedcal from www.dallasmustang.com or a custom ship...but if you get the chip you might as well finish w/ the bolt-ons and then get it burned for everything ya got i.e gears, off road h/x, maf, inj., etc.

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

mostang
¯
Member # 3352

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mostang  Ford pictures for mostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
$235 just to recalibrate my speedo for 3.73 gears. Man if had know that I would have left them stock. That's more than it cost for the gears themself.
TRIX02GT is this the same thing a shop would use to recalibrate it for me? http://www.dallasmustang.com/index.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9910&Category_Code=L_Drivetrain_SpeedometerAccessories

If it is, is this a doit yourselfer in the driveway kind of job????

--------------------

Posts: 182 | From: Castro Valley, originally Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7.3L White Whale  Ford pictures for 7.3L White Whale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my speedcal from brothers performance was like 79 bucks for my 01

--------------------
444 cubic inches and a 105mm turbo.

2001 gt.... sold

02 wrx... shits in the works

mostang
¯
Member # 3352

White Whale, can the calibrater be used on more than one car? I'd pay you half of what you paid if you could hook me up. We're only a few minutes apart and I'm going to try and make the Dublin meet on the 19th.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com