Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » weight reduction

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: weight reduction
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what can be done to the car for weight reduction? im talking major weight reduction. thanks

[ September 26, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: cobraman_1994 ]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
what can be done to the car for weight reduction? im talking major weight reduction. thanks

cut the top off [Razz]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well it is a t top, so it came with some cut up from the factory [patriot]

--------------------
86 GT

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all that tar shit. take out the actually bumpers those things are heavy...tubular k member and control arms are worth alot.... fiberglass rear hatch with lexan window would probably lose you about 500 pounds altogether

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
by ditching the power steering for manual, k member with a arms and coil overs, dnd claim 150 pounds off the front, no power steering is also less drag on the motor

fiberglass hood, all the sound deadening, light wheels, driveshaft, reducing rotating weight is much better that reducing fixed weight

aluminum cylinders heads save like 40 pounds and obvious performance gains, front swaybar,

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

well i got the aluminum heads, i have to get the aje k member. but im going to leep the power steering.
now what about the windows? like the back hatch and quarter panels?
the back seats are coming out for the weight reasons and i just really hate driving 4 people around [Big Grin]

--------------------
86 GT

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much do the seats really save you on weight? When I went to the track last time, I contemplated taking out the rear and passenger seat, but I figured the weight saving wouldn't be worth the pain in my ass. Was I correct?

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The Nick:
How much do the seats really save you on weight? When I went to the track last time, I contemplated taking out the rear and passenger seat, but I figured the weight saving wouldn't be worth the pain in my ass. Was I correct?

In a fox, the rear seats are only like 12lbs. The passenger seat is worth aboout 42-45.
Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The Nick:

I took my back seat out as a part of the rollbar install and was suprised how light that stuff was. Cant be more than 30 lbs. seat belts, mtg. brackets and all. I doubt it would be worth the pain in your ass.
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

PM Team Solo....he is the king of weight reduction

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
quote:

PM Team Solo....he is the king of weight reduction
Me and solo got the3 weight reduction thing down pretty good what is your weight goal and ill tell you what can be plasma cut out.

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pull the dog bone on the rear end, all the insullation in the car, A/C removal, heater core removal, everything mentioned above, remove all smog equipment, you can remove the front and rear bumpers or if the car is on the street then trade them for some 85 gt aluminum bumpers( 2.5mph bumpers insted of 5 or 10 mph)! [patriot] , and the front sway bar!

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My gt was heavy at 2660 and my new car is a tipping the scale at 2300 [Smile]

--------------------
'88 Mustang Coupe: 8.02 @ 170

Posts: 3887 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

well, im going to auto cross this car, so my hp-weight ratio is important. id like the car to be as light as possible yet still a semi street car. i know the rear seat doesnt really matter, but i have to take it out for the cage and it will be a pain in the ass to get it back in. my hp will only be around 340rwhp. i figure that im losing weight, so my car should too [Big Grin]
my goal is around 2900-3100 lbs with out driver.
its a 86 GT t top

--------------------
86 GT

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have removed and installed the rear seats, brackets, and seat belts many times in my fox and it's not difficult at all. It doesn't save a lot of weight either I just liked saying,"Sorry I only have one seat" to people wanting rides. Right now I have everything back in but left the trunk stripped to the metal.

--------------------
Support our troops!

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

the only reason that the seat will be a pain to put back in is because of the 8pt roll bar.
do you have any pics of your trunk stripped to the metal? wanted to do the same thing. thanks for the help fellas! [patriot]

--------------------
86 GT

Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Team SOLO  Ford pictures for Team SOLO    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'll get you a 'real pic' of a trunk stripped down to the metal..and including the metal [Smile]

here is the underneath pic of where the spare tire well used to be.

-

There is also a lot of unneeded metal in the trunk that is in the process of getting cut out too. In fact, i have never seen the need for a metal trunk lid...gone...fiberglass here we come [Wink]

--------------------

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
the only reason that the seat will be a pain to put back in is because of the 8pt roll bar.
do you have any pics of your trunk stripped to the metal? wanted to do the same thing. thanks for the help fellas! [patriot]

I just recently got my digital camera so I have none on my computer. I just have regular pics but I have no scanner.

--------------------
Support our troops!

Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you could also remove the heater box assembly the unit is quite large.also stereo,allum. drive shaft [Smile]

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hay team solo if you dont mind can you post some more pics of your car and dont you have a cage also what is that looks like an x under the spare tire. did you weld the piece of metal where the spare tire went or did you use rivots any more pics would be cool
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

quote:
Originally posted by sac 5.0:
hay team solo if you dont mind can you post some more pics of your car and dont you have a cage also what is that looks like an x under the spare tire. did you weld the piece of metal where the spare tire went or did you use rivots any more pics would be cool

more pics of the ride can be seen here:

http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012404;p=3

those small diameter bars are for the parachute mount

rivots were used to put that piece of 'steel' in. that is being removed and aluminum is going in its place.

--------------------

sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
car looks great what kind of cage is that
Team SOLO
Chevy Powered Stang
Member # 722

the cage is not 'branded' so to speak. it was put in when norm owned the car. it is actually way above spec. it is a 1 3/4 mild steel cage. it will be coming out before next cert so that i can put in an all chromemoly setup.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com