Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » How Much HP increase going from 8 1/2.1 to 10.1 comp ratio?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: How Much HP increase going from 8 1/2.1 to 10.1 comp ratio?
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My car is at 8 1/2.1 I am thinking about milling my heads, how much HP increase would I see?

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You won't be able to mill them enough to make 10...MAYBE 9.
Keep in mind, when you mill the heads, you also bring the valves closer to the pistons..and you're on the edge right now what your current camshaft.

No need to tear the engine down...just add a supercharger!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought the rule of thumb was ~ 10 HP for every full point at aroud our level (300) some cams really love compression though, so it could be a little more. I'd say as much as 20, in your case for another 1.5 full points.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u mill the heads then u have to screw with intake alignment, have to get the heads milled some where, take the heads off ur car, spend money on gaskets, etc etc

or u can either toss a charger, turbo, or nitrous on, turbo being expensive, nitrous cheap from me [Big Grin] , or the middle priced charger, either way is taken ur heads off to gave 15hp worth it, while there off my as well port them to, and port the intake
the car runs great right now i assume, so leave it alone and either behappy with it or a power adder is one or a few paychecks away [patriot]

[ September 24, 2003, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: 66 AC COBRA of CA PERFORMANCE ]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why did you build an 8.5:1 motor? Were you planning on a blower?

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff S:

yeah, but also heard that I can add bout 8psi to a 10:1, just trying to make as much HP as I can.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
You won't be able to mill them enough to make 10...MAYBE 9.
Keep in mind, when you mill the heads, you also bring the valves closer to the pistons..and you're on the edge right now what your current camshaft.

No need to tear the engine down...just add a supercharger!! [Big Grin]

might be swapping out the cam.

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Saint
¯
Member # 2746

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint  Ford pictures for Saint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im running 8 psi on my motor with stock compession
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Glenn:
quote:

yeah, but also heard that I can add bout 8psi to a 10:1, just trying to make as much HP as I can.
I'd guess you will make more power with 8psi and 8.5:1 compression then you will with 8psi and 10:1 compression on 91 octane. It will also be much less prone to detonation.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much power did this thing put out?
With higher compression comes more power accross the board & more throttle response. With lower compression motors I use more overlap to compensate for the lack of compression. But it seems you're limited in cam due to the pistons. That puts a damper on things....

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Yeah, but now you can run more boost. You'll get way more power with the lower compression and increased boost. Stick with the lower compression. Just my .02 cents.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0:
quote:
quote:

Yeah, but now you can run more boost. You'll get way more power with the lower compression and increased boost. Stick with the lower compression. Just my .02 cents.
To expand a little on this.....
The larger your combustion chamber, the more air you can pack in. If you plan on running a total of say 16 to 1 compression (calculated WITH boost), you'll get more power out of a larger chamber. A larger chamber volume at 8psi will make more power then a smaller chamber volume at 8psi....more then what upping the compression ratio will add.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Gear Head
JARED
Member # 779

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gear Head  Ford pictures for Gear Head    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
quote:
Originally posted by 91 5.0:
quote:
quote:

To expand a little on this.....
The larger your combustion chamber, the more air you can pack in. If you plan on running a total of say 16 to 1 compression (calculated WITH boost), you'll get more power out of a larger chamber. A larger chamber volume at 8psi will make more power then a smaller chamber volume at 8psi....more then what upping the compression ratio will add.

So your saying a car with lower compression with the same amount of boost will make more than a car with higher compression at the same exact psi?

--------------------
Support our troops!

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Depends on the application....
Glen is looking at a 15-20RWHP increase N/A from going from 8.5 to 10.0 to one compression. First off he'd have to take out 14cc's somewhere to get this...this would mean milling off .084 inches off the heads...which isn't gonna happen. LOL
But, if he were to take out 14cc's from the combustion chamber this would give him 10 to 1 compression.
There is roughly 7cc's in the head gasket itself. Total chamber volume for 10 to 1 compression on a 306 is ~68cc's. With 8.5 to 1 compression it's 82cc's. That's a 17% difference.
Total compression being the same on both applications (total meaning with boost) you're looking at an increase in power of basically 17%.
But...it would take more boost to get the 8.5 to one compression motor to make the same 'effective compression' as the 10 to one motor.
By how much you say???
Well...lets see....

A 10 to 1 compression motor with 8psi has an effective compression of 15.5. Anything under ~16 is okay for use with pump gas.
An 8.5 to 1 compression motor needs 12psi boost to make the same 15.5 effective compression.

Now...that's 4psi more...to make the same 'effective compression' & due to the larger chamber volume this will make ~17% more power then the 10 to 1 compression motor.
But you may say that more boost = more heat! Ah yes...it does. But think of it this way..... Typically blowers will have intercoolers to cool the air before entering the motor. So, on one motor the air is compressed to 8psi, cooled a little, then compressed again to 10 to 1 by the pistons, which creates a LOT of heat & gives us 15.5 effective compression. The other motor is pushing 12psi that is cooled off before being compressed 8.5 to 1. This will also give 15.5 to one effective compression...but the air-charge will be a few degrees cooler due to more air being cooled by the intercooler & not being compressed by the pistons so much.

Ah...but what about 2 motor pushing the same boost one with 8.5 compression & one with 10. Well...it's a toss up. One is making 15.5 effective compression with a 68cc chamber, the other 13.2 effective compression (15% less) with an 82cc chamber (17% more). Basically it comes down to heat in the aircharge & compressor effeciency as to which combo would make more power. For sure, the higher compression motor would have snappier throttle response & rev faster when not in boost. But peak power output....it's a toss up IMO. But, I'd go for the cooler aircharge.

[ September 24, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Baaaahhhhhhhhhhh! Put it on the dyno. [Cool]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
save up for a turbo setup [worship]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Glenn
¯
Member # 520

BOOST IT IS!!!

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
BOOST IT IS!!!

[patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Less compression will allow you to run more timing with a given amount of boost or more boost with the same timing with out detonation. More timing or more boost = more power. Take your pick!

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com