Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Buying an 86 (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Buying an 86
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are they any good? Can you mod them easy? I dont know much about 5.0's much less anything aobut a carb car. Please let me know what I should expect.

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Primer GR40:
I dont know much about 5.0's much less anything aobut a carb car.

Please let me know what I should expect.

Well, you can expect to see a fuel injected motor [Big Grin]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Are they any good? Can you mod them easy? I dont know much about 5.0's much less anything aobut a carb car. Please let me know what I should expect.

Buy my car as a roller then no 86 density drama

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah to mod em easy first thing you'll have to do is convert from speed density to mass air.

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why would you need to convert to mass air? It's not like you can change cams to anything big, the pistons aren't notched, the heads are junk (as most stock castings are), and nearly any change you make isn't gonna be legal when it comes time for the sniffer...ever notice all the CARB numbers are for 87 and UP?

The 86's are just fine, if you're looking for a four-eyed Mustang. The drivetrain is nearly identical to any other 5.0 [Smile]

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont even waste your time with a speed density to mass air conversion unless you modify your heads and/or cam!....You will LOOSE hp, if you did the change on a stock motor..

'86's are a great year Mustang...The upper intake is a little more re-strictive than a 87-93 manifold(easily fixed)...They do come with an 8.8 and dual exhaust...The biggest weakness on the 86's were the cylinder heads....'86's did come with forged flat top pistons which actually had a slightly higher compression ratio, however they do require notching the piston with the use of an after market cylinder head...

Try to stay away from "T-Tops", they leak and make the body less stiff...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Primer GR40  Ford pictures for Primer GR40  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well, I'm getting it for $1000. The lady always took care of it, the interior just needs some work. I could give two shits about CARB#'s, I can take care of that. Are there any heads that I could put on without notching the pistons? I think I'll throw some spray on it. How would it do on a stock motor? Besides the manifold, which are the first things I should do on it? I think ill cut the cats and throw some flows i have on it. What gears are in an auto 86? I'm looking for the cheapest power i can make here.
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no heads or cams due to the pistons being gay as hell I herad e7s will fit and give you 10 hp but thats it basically my advice to you is put a 200shot in that bitch and do gears [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

quote:
Originally posted by BOUNTY HUNTER VERT:
no heads or cams due to the pistons being gay as hell I herad e7s will fit and give you 10 hp but thats it basically my advice to you is put a 200shot in that bitch and do gears [Whoo Whooooo!]

I dont know shit about nitrous. Do you want to help me when i get it??

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

You should have kept your 85...but no...you wanted to go faster... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I used to have an 86 and for a bone stock car it felt faster than my 88 when that was bone stock. The heads are really shitty. The E7's, even with a dremel port job, are a great cheap investment. A B-cam would probably work too. Get some decent headers, a nice intake and a nice mechanical secondary CARB with a little NX kit. Add some gears. So for roughly a grand, you just went from a 15.5 car to a high 12 low 13 car.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen1:
I used to have an 86 and for a bone stock car it felt faster than my 88 when that was bone stock. The heads are really shitty. The E7's, even with a dremel port job, are a great cheap investment. A B-cam would probably work too. Get some decent headers, a nice intake and a nice mechanical secondary CARB with a little NX kit. Add some gears. So for roughly a grand, you just went from a 15.5 car to a high 12 low 13 car.

Why would you put a carb on a fuel injection car?...

~Primer GR40~ I would buy some Underdrive pulley's, off road H, 3.73's, (3.27's on a stock auto) and some 1.7's....1.7 roller rockers will max the lift out on the cam and still have enough piston to valve clearance...You should have a mid 14 second car and with nitrous low 13's...

.......oh yeah, a K&N [Wink]

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Listen to black94 5.0 his old 86 was the shit. First car I have ever been in at 150+ mph and about 135 mph on dirt [worship]
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

quote:
quote:

I dont know shit about nitrous. Do you want to help me when i get it??
Yea no problem ill throw a kit in for ya nitrous is really simple and basic. Throw 125 jets in that biaaaach and 410s psshhhhhhhhhhh gone 12s for 1500 bux lol

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Yeah, that dirt trip was scary [Eek!] ...Damn those red lights! [Big Grin]

JDUB07~ We need to get your driveshaft balanced on your 13 second(soon to be 12's)G-ride, for some high speed runs...I'll film it, from the passenger seat... [patriot]

--------------------

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
quote:

Lol remember the reason the 85 got the axe was the floorboards tore in half anf the car was sagging 11/2 in around the torque boxws due to my 7000rpm launch on slicks abuse lol. I eremeber shattering t tops and the time i took them out and made passes and we had to use a hammer to put them back in lol.

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh yeah...thats right...oppps my bad.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:

mine dont leak at all. you just have to tae care of them, wich most people dont. then they leak and people complain.
and just get subframe connectors and your body will be plenty stiff. and a roll bar if you want [Razz]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Primer GR40
¯
Member # 476

OK so I just got a set of E7's from some guy and he gave me a lower manifold as well. Can I still put some 1.6 or 1.7 rr's on there? Which ones?
I was thinking I'd try and open up the lower bit, and find a 87+ stock upper.
Also, I'll be driving this car in hot weather in stop and go traffic (1 hour + trips). Should I still do pulleys? What brank are good? Thanks

--------------------
Superdupercharged Cobra
No Transmatic Notch

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Stock are 1.6's....With the stock heads and cam the 1.7's will add as much lift as you can get on an '86 motor...IF you are changing to the E7 heads I would check piston-to-valve clearance, just to make sure, but they should be ok...

Buy some ASP pulley's....

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
quote:

mine dont leak at all. you just have to tae care of them, wich most people dont. then they leak and people complain.
and just get subframe connectors and your body will be plenty stiff. and a roll bar if you want [Razz]

I didnt have T-tops on my 86, but every T-top Stang and Crapmaro I've seen, the T-tops leaked......You must take good care of your 18+ year old weather stripping [Wink] [patriot] ....

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Yeah, that dirt trip was scary [Eek!] ...Damn those red lights! [Big Grin]

JDUB07~ We need to get your driveshaft balanced on your 13 second(soon to be 12's)G-ride, for some high speed runs...I'll film it, from the passenger seat... [patriot]

Funny you mentioned the drive shaft. I was thinkin that yesterday when I left your house. Thats my next thing on my list to get done,...right after I fill the bottle! [Eek!]
cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cobraman_1994:
quote:

I didnt have T-tops on my 86, but every T-top Stang and Crapmaro I've seen, the T-tops leaked......You must take good care of your 18+ year old weather stripping [Wink] [patriot] ....
yup [Big Grin]
actually i awnt to get all new weather stripping.

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
quote:

Lol remember the reason the 85 got the axe was the floorboards tore in half anf the car was sagging 11/2 in around the torque boxws due to my 7000rpm launch on slicks abuse lol. I eremeber shattering t tops and the time i took them out and made passes and we had to use a hammer to put them back in lol.
I remeber your gauge panel was quite PHAT in that car...........
Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
HaulinAss Motorsports
Its a STREETRaceCar!
Member # 541

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaulinAss Motorsports  Ford pictures for HaulinAss Motorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a completly stock 86 Gt AUTO car hit a 14.20 in Redding a few year back.

Now a quick recipe is.....

Put the E7's on they WILL fit(port them if you can).swap the intake with the one you got with the heads,3:73's,65 mm throttle body,headers/h-pipe,underdrives,160 thermostat,bump the timing,(HOMEMADE)cold air or ram air and the juice and the car will haul ass and stil be able to use as a daily driver...this combo should see low 13's or ??????

Also a cheapy B&M shoftkit at your local kragens will vastly help the shifting of the trans which in turn will help et

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22469 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com