Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » which cam, E or B?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: which cam, E or B?
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 3 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's the list, stock 302,iron GT heads,cobra intake,65mm TB,equal length headers,24lb. injectors,5spd,3:08's. I was looking for a cam that was noticeably better than stock, but will still fool/pass a smog check. I have an E-303 but was wondering if I should try the B-303. Any Ideas folks? Oh yeah, should I switch the TB too?

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
b cam wont pass...get the e if ur worried about smog..if u have the hook up on smog..dont get the b or e...get the x303

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
B cam with 1.7 roller rockers would be a good choice for your setup, it will pass smog as long as you find a shop that doesnt ask for the carb number, of course you have the carb number off the E though. If you already have the E I would put it in instead of spending more money. [patriot] And then buy some N2O [Big Grin]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you running a stock EGR spacer?

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Considered a strong Crane Cam? Or are you looking to stick with FMS?

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The E, B, & X will all pass the sniffer with no problems. On the off chance the smog tech asks you for a CARB # for the cam, give him the one from the E. They are not going to crack open your timing cover, pull out the cam & check the back...trust me.

X with 1.6's or B with 1.7's will make the most power.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought the E was better than the B??? Although I agree with going with the X [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
f-cam goes well with the gt40 irons [patriot]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah but i'm pretty sure F wont pass smog because it doesn't have 0 overlap like the b,e, and x cams have.

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As long as your car is running well, all the FMS cams can pass smog. My 351w with an F cam passes just fine.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
As long as your car is running well, all the FMS cams can pass smog. My 351w with an F cam passes just fine.

This is true.

& the F303 actually has 2 degrees less overlap then the E, B, or X.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is the z-303 just a beefed up f-cam? kinda like the b and x cam?

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by mike g:
is the z-303 just a beefed up f-cam? kinda like the b and x cam?

No....

Here's the specs for the FMS line with 1.6's:
E303 - 220/220 110LSA 106ICL .498/.498 0 overlap @.050
B303 - 224/224 112LSA 108ICL .480/.480 0 overlap @.050
X303 - 224/224 112LSA 108ICL .542/.542 0 overlap @.050
F303 - 226/226 114LSA 110ICL .512/.512 -2 overlap @.050
Z303 - 228/228 112LSA 108ICL .552/.552 4 overlap @.050

Out of all these, the Z will make the most power...but it is the only one that will not pass the sniffer.
For N/A setups the X is probably the best overall camshaft of those listed. The F suits turbos better. The X, F, & B will work great with SC's. 1.7 rockers are recomended for both E & B to make them a little 'hotter'. I see no real point in using the E over any of these other cams in any given application.

[ September 17, 2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

biggmatt
¯
Member # 1124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for biggmatt  Ford pictures for biggmatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have hook up on the new smog if u need it. kinda pricey though
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
I thought the E was better than the B??? Although I agree with going with the X [patriot]

B is better with 1.7 because it gives you more duration and ruffly the same lift with a E and 1.6's

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
7.3L White Whale
¯
Member # 1848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7.3L White Whale  Ford pictures for 7.3L White Whale    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Y does it seem spec wise the ls1 guys are going with bigger cams and running lower et's and still passing emissions and having drivability?

--------------------
444 cubic inches and a 105mm turbo.

2001 gt.... sold

02 wrx... shits in the works

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

quote:
Originally posted by 7.3L White Whale:
Y does it seem spec wise the ls1 guys are going with bigger cams and running lower et's and still passing emissions and having drivability?

Stock the LS1 has a REALLY small cam. The Z06 is the largest stock cam available & it measures 206/212 115LSA.
Overlap = power plain & simple. The LS1's are making more power with less cam....so they respond much better to larger cams then our 302's.
Their head design is by FAR superior to ANY aftermarket street Ford head available. This translates into even greater gains when you free-up the restrictions in the induction/exhaust systems. (cam being the ending point of the intake system and the begining point of the exhaust system.)

Typically the LS1 gains 2-2.5RWTQ per 1 degree of overlap added in a camshaft. Our little 302's gain ~1.-1.5RWTQ per 1 degree of added overlap. This is due to head design & the added displacement of their motors....mainly displacement. Camara90 gained ~2RWTQ per 1 degree of added overlap on his last camswap with his 347.

As for emissions, the LS1 has it pretty tough actually. Stricter regulations due to it being a newer car + the complexity of the computer/sensor system make it a bit difficult. Due to added headflow, the LS1 can not have as much overlap as a Ford if it is to pass smog. Another think to consider is the fact that the LS1's use 1.7 rockers....& in some cases 1.85's. This translates into a smaller cam profile acting like a larger profile.

& drivability....well....most of the local LS1 boys around here have a hell of a time tuning out the bugs after a cam swap. Idle & low-speed surging are quite comon. But....this can be easily taken care of with the correct ICL.

I've designed quite a few LS1 grinds....one will be hitting the track pretty soon. 395RWHP from a 220/220 112LSA that'll pass smog. Damn thing idles & drives like the stocker too.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

hopdup95
¯
Member # 2381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopdup95  Ford pictures for hopdup95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A friend of mine was reading a mustang tuning magazine and they did a cam comparison. They said that the e-cam, which I have and have no problems with, is the best cam other than an all out race cam. So if you you're going to have just a strip car that's not a daily driver then hell yeah go with something more but if not the e-cam is a good overall cam.
Posts: 486 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
svt306snake
¯
Member # 1967

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for svt306snake  Ford pictures for svt306snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
e cam [Cool]

--------------------
F*** TPS MOTORSPORTS F *** TPS MOTORSPORTS THEY SUCK ASS

TEAM TRUE FORGED X 2 SPONSORED

CAPITAL MUSTANG C.C.

Posts: 5841 | From: SACRAMENTO "916" YA KNOW | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

On 91PONY's setup we went from an E303 with BBK high-flow H to an X303 retarded 6 degrees & BBK off-road X & gained a little over 4mph in the 1/4 mile.
The car drove just as good with the E if not better & idle was the same.

The E is probably the worst aftermarket cam for the 5.0 I've ever run accross. Cranes 2031 will out power it with less overlap & idle issues.

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well when the E is what's in your car and it's better than stock and it's what you can afford, I guess you gotta deal with it [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com