Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » pullies and car stereo question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: pullies and car stereo question
GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTSLN97  Ford pictures for GTSLN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey, i have steeda underdrive pullies. when i used 2 have my old stereo (2 comp vr 12's and 760 watt amp) my lights used 2 dim, but i never had a problem with power. I'm stepping it up a little now (3 punch hx2's and a 1000+ watt amp) i'm going to get a capacitor for sure. I think imma get a 2 farad. do you think that will be enough even tho my alternator is underdriven> or should i put my stock pully back on? can u have the other 2 underdriven with the stock alternater pully? thanks.
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd start out with putting on the smallest alternator pulley you can find.
67stang12s
¯
Member # 2314

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 67stang12s  Ford pictures for 67stang12s    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u should be coo even if u had a 1 farad but try looking at getting a deep cycle battery optima yellw top preferred i run them in all my cars with 2000 watt systems
because your alternator is pretty powerful

--------------------
The Heartbeat stops here
F O R D

GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GTSLN97  Ford pictures for GTSLN97    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by st5150:
I'd start out with putting on the smallest alternator pulley you can find.

can i? since its a 3 pully set, i thought maybe u have 2 have em all on....? cuz i still got my stock pully.
Fast472Mach1
¯
Member # 2559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast472Mach1  Ford pictures for Fast472Mach1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your belt is going to move the same speed regardless of your pulley. Its like changing a blower pulley. When you go to a smaller pulley you don't change the speed of your belt, you change the speed of that one component. All the pulley manufacturers reccomend NOT using their alternator pulley if you have a system like yours. Dont try to go to a smaller then stock one either. The pulley that it came with was meant to turn at that speed. To underdrive it is fine but to overdrive it causes it to work harder than it was meant too.

--------------------
11.7@116 1.7 60ft. N/A
11.4@124 1.9 60ft. 100NX

Posts: 639 | From: Laguna West | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

quote:
Originally posted by Fast472Mach1:
Your belt is going to move the same speed regardless of your pulley. Its like changing a blower pulley. When you go to a smaller pulley you don't change the speed of your belt, you change the speed of that one component. All the pulley manufacturers reccomend NOT using their alternator pulley if you have a system like yours. Dont try to go to a smaller then stock one either. The pulley that it came with was meant to turn at that speed. To underdrive it is fine but to overdrive it causes it to work harder than it was meant too.

alright cool thnx. i still got my stock pully imma through back on there.
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Talk to Purple Notch, he's the stereo expert [worship]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You may want to consider going to a dual Optima yellow top set up. You may not notice a drop in power but if your blasting the stereo and punch it your fuel system may not get enough juice, This can cause your motor to lean out which leads to detonation. Of course you wouldn't hear it detonating!

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

GTSLN97
¯
Member # 1849

quote:
Originally posted by Red97SVT:
You may want to consider going to a dual Optima yellow top set up. You may not notice a drop in power but if your blasting the stereo and punch it your fuel system may not get enough juice, This can cause your motor to lean out which leads to detonation. Of course you wouldn't hear it detonating!

i might have to look into that... i def dont want that happening without me knowing, haha.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com