Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » over heating problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: over heating problem
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok i have a new water pump, new 180* thermastat, new radiator and this POS still over heats from driving it around the block. oh yea new fane too. but the weird thing is the water barely flows through the radiator, bt when i give it gas it flows like it should. i know the thermastat opens because i boiled it. [Big Grin] but yea how could it be that the wtaer doesnt flow unless im giving it gas, and it flows better the more gas i give it. could it be a blown head gasket? cracked head? i havent checked for water in the oil yet, to pissed off and hoping its somehting a lot more simple.

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

cobraman_1994
¯
Member # 467

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraman_1994  Ford pictures for cobraman_1994    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
heater core?
isnt that one of the signs?

a head gasket too, check your oil [patriot]

--------------------
86 GT

Posts: 4882 | From: eldorado hills | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92coupe  Ford pictures for 92coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i feel kinda dumb, i havent checked my oil in a while and its been sitting for about 4 months and one of the drain plugs leaks. well uh theres about 1 qt of oil in the car. but i still dont get why the water doesnt flow very well at idle?

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do you have underdrive pulleys? That would slowdown your water pump, and would explain why water flows better when the engine is revved. But it over-heats when you drive around the block?!

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Floored
¯
Member # 2312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floored  Ford pictures for Floored    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MY car was overheating BAD. I replaced everything and finally took it to a shop. Turnes out the computer that turns the fan on and off went bad. My car is also running VERY lean and detinating very badly and that is also adding to it over heating.

I think you should take it to a shop, pay the $$ to see whats wrong instead of playing the guessing game.. I used to play the game but I find it works better for me to have a shop I trust solve the problem, and if it's something I can replace then I do it, if not car is at the shop and I pay them to.

Good luck!! [patriot]

--------------------
~Alice
..blast from the past..

Posts: 788 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
92coupe
¯
Member # 1957

not going to a shop, sorry. and no i do not have under drive pullies. the car is completly stock.

--------------------
94-GT BLOWN & STROKED

Fast472Mach1
¯
Member # 2559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast472Mach1  Ford pictures for Fast472Mach1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why don't you clean off the front of the radiator. If its holding all its water and the thermostat is new, I would imagine that your radiator is just clogged on the outside or the inside. Its quite possible that you just have a lot of rust build-up on the inside of it. Flush it out and when you refill it, put a ground strap from the radiator support to the radiator housing.

--------------------
11.7@116 1.7 60ft. N/A
11.4@124 1.9 60ft. 100NX

Posts: 639 | From: Laguna West | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
having 1 quart of oil will make your car overheat

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92coupe:
ok i have a new water pump, new 180* thermastat, new radiator and this POS still over heats from driving it around the block. oh yea new fane too.

What kinda fan are you running?...Is it electric or one of those flex fans...If its one of those after market flex fans, are you sure the blades are going in the right direction?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by 92coupe:
ok i have a new water pump, new 180* thermastat, new radiator and this POS still over heats from driving it around the block. oh yea new fane too.

What kinda fan are you running?...Is it electric or one of those flex fans...If its one of those after market flex fans, are you sure the blades are going in the right direction?...
wouldn't fit any other way... would it?

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
friction causes heat...low to no oil causes friction...your problem MAY be as simple as normal maintanence. [dance]
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The faster your engine is spinning, the faster the water will flow. I don't think that is an issue.

Low to no oil is an issue.

If that wasn't causing it to overheat then it could be a head gasket. You do not have to have water in your oil to have a blown head gasket. Get a compression/leak down test.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u might just have air in the system...do a pressure test on it to get that air out...having air in the system causes over heating

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
people are suggesting a head gasket...i doubt thats the problem, but if u want to make sure other than checking ur oil..this is faster. with the engine cold, take ur radiator cap off and start the car...if water shoots out of the radiator cap spout..then u have a blown head gasket

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com