Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » TBI TO CARB

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: TBI TO CARB
MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I am looking at an 85 gt that is very clean. I need to know if anyone knows if I can remove the TBI unit and install a factory carb on it? Quick answers would be apreciated because the end of the auction is tomorrow. Thanks.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
Fast472Mach1
¯
Member # 2559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast472Mach1  Ford pictures for Fast472Mach1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I know a guy with a TBI camaro that did. He said all he did was put some adapter plate on and ran the carb. I saw it and it seemed to work fine and was a very basic piece.

--------------------
11.7@116 1.7 60ft. N/A
11.4@124 1.9 60ft. 100NX

Posts: 639 | From: Laguna West | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stay away from the tbi mustangs and look for something else

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought '85's were carbed? Worse comes to worse, you can swap the intake (maybe distributor?) and run a carb. Used 302 intakes for carbs are fairly cheap.
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's a fairly straight forward and simple swap. As for detailed info on the Carbed Ford Message Board I want to say that the CFI does NOT have a roller cam, but I'm not sure. It might be something you want to double check before you buy. Well, if that's important to you anyways. If you want to make a "legal" swap, you'll need a Holley 4180 carb, stock '85 manifold or Edelbrock performer w/egr, egr plate, distributor, mechanical fuel pump, dual snorkle air cleaner, headers w/heat risers, and i'm sure a few things I can't think of right now. If you don't care about legality, well, it's even easier. Oh yeah, lots of people have done the swap on the Four Eyed Pride message board

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com