Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 87-93 Brake upgrade

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 87-93 Brake upgrade
Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Five Decimal Zero  Ford pictures for Five Decimal Zero  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Has anyone done the 73mm caliper brake upgrade on their 87-93 Mustang? Not sure if I should do the upgrade or just go with the Maximum Motorsports upgrade with my stock calipers.

Link to Maximum Motorsports upgrade: http://www.maximummotorsports.com/mmbp.asp

or

Link to Brothers Performance for 73mm caliper upgrade: http://www.brothersperformance.com/shop/mustang/kt301.html

Posts: 972 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: May 2002  |  :
Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Five Decimal Zero  Ford pictures for Five Decimal Zero  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
BTW, I am on a budget and plan on doing the 5-lug conversion later. Any advise will help...thanks!
cheap
¯
Member # 858

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheap  Ford pictures for cheap  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're on a budget wouldn't it be cheaper to WAIT and do the brake upgrade/5-lug conversion at the same time? Or just not do the 5-lug conversion at all?

--------------------
1965 Spyder GT

Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

quote:
Originally posted by cheap:
If you're on a budget wouldn't it be cheaper to WAIT and do the brake upgrade/5-lug conversion at the same time? Or just not do the 5-lug conversion at all?

It would be cheaper to wait but my brakes are squeaking and rotors are glazed a bit. Plus I have 4 lug Cobra Rs with good tires and would hate to give that up right now. Unless you got the hooks on a 5-lug conversion and wheels.
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so go get your rotors refinished and new pads for like $125 and wait until you can get the whole 5-lug upgrade [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Anyone else? I just want to know if the 4-lug caliper upgrade is even worth it.
FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I did the MkVII 73mm calipers, dimpled GT rotors. Much better. There is a little more pedal travel w/ the larger pistons but it definitely stops faster and I can better modulate, now. Very noticable at the track- easier to hit the second return road. I am quitte pleased w/ the results. Be sure to use good pads- I like the carbon metallic, but the create a lot of dust. (I was using them before the swap.)

ps- I got my calipers for $30 out of the junkyard.

[ September 11, 2003, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: FasterDamnit ]

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Five Decimal Zero  Ford pictures for Five Decimal Zero  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just read the tech article at www.fordmuscle.com. Thanks for the info!
50/50
¯
Member # 1724

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 50/50  Ford pictures for 50/50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get an up-grade on the front rotors to more larger disks. Much like the sloted or cross drilled rotors. I hear that it can really improve stopping distance. But check if they are available for 4-lug rotors. I'm sure some performance shops should have it.

--------------------
Previously named: VenGeance, 5LiterFever, 50cal.

Drive safely. You wanna drive in it. Not DIE in it.

badazz
¯
Member # 1773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazz  Ford pictures for badazz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well N20 told me you can upgrade on the rotors to a slotted or crossdrilled or both and you can use a 98 GT caliper and it hella improves yer braking.
Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

Anyone know any shops in the bay that stocks slotted rotors? I plan on gettin' a BJ tomorrow.
Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

BJ meaning Brake Job...
badazz
¯
Member # 1773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazz  Ford pictures for badazz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hahhaha..i was gonna basterdize yer thread with a smartass comment..what part of the bay yer in?
Five Decimal Zero
CAFords OG
Member # 1251

I work in San Jose but live in Newark. So anywhere in South and East bay. A BJ tonight wouldn't be too bad either. [Cool]
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by VenGeance:
Get an up-grade on the front rotors to more larger disks. Much like the sloted or cross drilled rotors. I hear that it can really improve stopping distance. But check if they are available for 4-lug rotors. I'm sure some performance shops should have it.

Larger rotors mean more swept braking area which means shorter stopping distance.

Drilled rotors look cool but they will not reduce stopping distance! If you are spending under $500 a pair for just rotors, chances are they will crack under road race conditions.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com