Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Would do you guys think

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Would do you guys think
90gtverrt
¯
Member # 1437

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtverrt  Ford pictures for 90gtverrt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im dropping my car off on tuesday and having this built.

331ci Stroker
10:1 Compression
Probe Forged Pistons
Forged I-Beam Rods
Steel Crank

Systemax II Heads
Systemax II Intake
Custom Cam
1.6rr Trick Flow Rockers
75MM Pro-M Bullet
MSD Ignition

1. What size TB should i have on that. I have a 65MM now but i think i need to step up to a 70MM

2. How much power will this combo put down with a dyno tune....what do you guys think?

[ September 11, 2003, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: 331ci89Vert ]

Posts: 1199 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a 70mm throttle body, maybe a 75 if u do what i suggest next

dump the heads, dump the heads, dump the heads
either get some afr165/185's or some trick flow twisted wedge heads, any one of those three heads will significantly outperform the holleys by far

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

90gtverrt
¯
Member # 1437

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtverrt  Ford pictures for 90gtverrt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The holley heads seem to have the best low speed torque improvment though and since this is going to be a street car thats what im interested in.

What was the 5.0 mags head test thought the holley performed almost as good as the AFR's but better than the trick flows.

And i already have the heads and intake.

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
junk the pro m and get a 80mm c/l and use a 75mmtb on the 331 with all the mods listed it wont hurt. The car with this combo should run real good.

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what are the cam specs junk the ed curtis and go with the crower 5.0 cams check their grinds out they have some bad ass cams for 5.0s

--------------------

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

what are the cam specs junk the ed curtis and go with the crower 5.0 cams check their grinds out they have some bad ass cams for 5.0s

--------------------

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

damn triple post

--------------------

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BOUNTY HUNTER VERT:

WHO is Ed Curtis?

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

quote:
Originally posted by MR GO FAST:
quote:
Originally posted by BOUNTY HUNTER VERT:

WHO is Ed Curtis?
Some old hick that knows nothing about 5.0s lol

--------------------

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ed Curtis is the Man, www.flowtechinduction.com, and I agree ditch the heads unless you already have them, I have heard nothing but bad things about those heads! ALmost always have valvetrain problems and need new valve seats agter like 7K miles! Go AFR or TFS! [patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like the combo, 75mm throttle body for sure. Like everyone else even though you aren't going to listen I'm going to tell you that those heads are shitty. Definately get some AFR's or TW's. With that said I think you'll make 290-310 to the wheels with that combo, get yourself a set of better hards and I say 330 at least [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh unsure of power because have no clue what your cam specs are exactly [Confused]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ask Jim (fasterdammit), I think he ran a set of Holley heads on a test for his magazine. He can tell you for sure! [patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont waste your money on a new t-body. Save that couple hundred bucks for the better heads. I made 466rwhp with a 65mm t-body.
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
turbo302
¯
Member # 2786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo302  Ford pictures for turbo302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The older 1.94 systemmax heads had a poor valvetrain geometry which caused the valve guides to wear.The newer 2.02 systemmax heads do not have this problem.Trickflow had the same problem when it first released the pedestal mount head.The first systemmax kit came with a cam that had to much duration and lift for a stock 302(loss of low end torque)the newr kit has a cam thats more in line for a stock 302.WE all have opinions on what heads would be best.IT's the total combo of correct parts that going to make the Hp in the end.FOR 89 verts 331 there will be a custom cam made based on what he wants to do with the car.BElieve it or not there are 302 mustang out there runing low 12's high 11's with the out of the box systemmax kit.A 10.1 compression 331 with the correct cam will pull like a raped ape with this kit!
sheldon

[ September 11, 2003, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: turbo302 ]

--------------------
turbo302
10.20/133
Big Boy Racing Fabrication
www.bigboyracing.com

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't put Holley heads on my car if you paid me $1000 dollars. I've seen first hand what they did to a friends motor. But I also have heard they were re-designed, so who knows

Go with AFR 185's
Luke

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
90gtverrt
¯
Member # 1437

Thanks Turbo302, and I DO have the newer heads with the 2.02 as im lookin at them and the specs right now. Im not lookint to make a Maximum horsepower beast. Im looking to make a stump pulling motor that will be a blast to drive on the street. The AFR 185CC Heads are awesome heads! dont get me wrong. But the difference in low speed torque is what drove me to the holleys. I DID DO my research. I will post up dyno numbers after the motor is built and dynoed. Whatever it is it will be fast and will be fun to drive and that is the main thing. If its not fast enough though for some reason then the nitrous will be put on lol.

Mike

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com