Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Upper/lower control arms?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Upper/lower control arms?
THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So how good are upper/lower control arms...are they the best bang for the buck...suspension wise? How much of a difference can I expect to see at the track? Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S Does brand make a noticable difference?

Thanks
[patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Blue Oval
¯
Member # 2548

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Oval  Ford pictures for Blue Oval    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would also like to know? [Smile]

--------------------
65 Coupe 306, AFR's
89 Cali. Ed. Saleen "sold"
BAB 89 GT
08 Yamaha R6

Posts: 2345 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Jeff S
¯
Member # 371

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S  Ford pictures for Jeff S  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The best bang for the buck is a good set of SLICKS.

--------------------
'90 Mustang LX: 8.53 @ 157.92 w/ 1.33 60' on DR's
'10 ZR1: FOR SALE
'14 E63 S: RENNtech ECU
'04 Gallardo: UGR TTG

Posts: 2121 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
The best bang for the buck is a good set of SLICKS.
And Gears [worship]
Suspension wise lower control arms will definately help you plant the tires. I've also heard praise from many cars with a panhard bar and torque arm set up. You may want to look into that too [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lower control arms dont do as much as they say but they are for sure needed. make sure to buy double adjustable upper arms and spherical bushings. this will correct the pinion angle and help with the launch.also a rearend cover and some coilovers.good luck! [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleNotch:
lower control arms dont do as much as they say but they are for sure needed. make sure to buy double adjustable upper arms and spherical bushings. this will correct the pinion angle and help with the launch.also a rearend cover and some coilovers.good luck! [patriot]

1.48 60s on stock lowers??????? I know many aftermarket control arm cars that cant match this [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

turbo302
¯
Member # 2786

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo302  Ford pictures for turbo302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Whatever you can do to help prevent the Mustang chassis from flexing will improve your 60fts., that's one thing that aftermarket control arms and subframe connectors will help with (and also prevent the rear end from binding). If you want to have consistent 60fts and ETs then the two of those would be a wise investment for you.
- Sheldon

--------------------
turbo302
10.20/133
Big Boy Racing Fabrication
www.bigboyracing.com

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
also a rearend cover and some coilovers
Maybe I'm missing something here but what exactly is a rear end cover going to do for my launches, 60 ft's etc. [Confused]

--------------------

-Me

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would guess that because they are, thicker/stiffer and they have improved support for the differential end caps, that they will help your rear end live when you do hook.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

THE King Cobra
¯
Member # 2011

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE King Cobra  Ford pictures for THE King Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I would cut 1/4 of a sec off my time at the track or more? Does brand really make a difference?

thanks guys

[patriot]

--------------------
RPM Racing Team
-96 Cobra. HCI MOTORSPORTS block
-More cops in the family = more write-offs
508 RWHP @10.0lbs @6100 RPM..wait till I hit 8K RPM's

Posts: 315 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey ryan launch your car with slicks and gears and all that with no rearend girdle ill bring the broom to clean up your gears then ill put them in my car [Razz]

--------------------

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

quote:
hey ryan launch your car with slicks and gears and all that with no rearend girdle ill bring the broom to clean up your gears then ill put them in my car
If you can catch me to give me the broom [Eek!]

--------------------

-Me

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

I'll catch you with my go kart [Eek!]

--------------------

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

It's probably faster then puple notch [Eek!] [Razz]

--------------------

-Me

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

probably [Razz] but not for long!

--------------------

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

I don't see any boost yet [Confused]

--------------------

-Me

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com