Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Details on N2O?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Details on N2O?
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm thinking about putting N2O on my car, but don't know too much about it. I know that it basically adds oxygen to the fuel mixture, but what needs to be done to the tuning to make it safe? How do you compensate the tune for running on and off the juice? Do you need a dual tune chip? Do I need to upgrade the fuel system?

The car is mainly street driven.

My car is a 97 Cobra with the following engine mods:
0.30' over bore
CP forged flat tops (10:1?)
Ported heads
Port matched intake
IMRC deletes
Manley rods
FMS shorties
X pipe with cats
BBK CAI

Thanks for any info.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think you sould go with a wet kit a good tune is every thing though what is your current fuel set up if it is stock i say go to some 36 lb injectors tune tune tunes looks like your motor should be able to run a pretty decent size shot good luck

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
R.M.I cylinder head fabrication
408 986 8626

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can give you a great price on a NX kit, Let me know, as far as tuning goes, your timing, plugs are a key factor! Sounds like you want it to run all out both N/A and on the juice. One way to do that is with a ignition that pulls timing when the Nitrous is activated, like a MSD system. [patriot]

--------------------
88 GT 357w (SOLD):(
06 Limited Edition R6 !!!!!

Posts: 2353 | From: Fairfield / Santa Rosa , Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My fuel system is stock.

You say tune, tune, tune. What does the tune do? Is fuel added? Timing changed? Are the changes only at WOT? What about when it isn't on the juice, will the "juiced tune" affect non juiced perfomance?

I'm the kind of person that needs to understand the details/theory behind the application so that I can make my own decisions about what mods to make. That way if it blows up it is my own fault.

Maybe someone could point me to a site that has this kind of info.

Thanks again.

--------------------

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I believe a '97 cobra has a factory knock sensor. You should find out for sure on that, will make a big difference in your tuning.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustanggt5091  Ford pictures for mustanggt5091    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Generallly you want to run 1 step colder plugs per 50-75 hp shot of N2O, and yes timing is pulled 2 degrees for every 50-75hp as a rule of thumb! And yes a car tuned for N20 will lose a little power over a tune for N/A, unless you use what I mentioned before, timing set for N/A but dropped when the N2O is activated. Fuel is added on dry shots to compinsate for the extra oxygen, on a wet kit, a precise mixture of gas and N2O is fed into the combustion chamber! [patriot]

--------------------

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Thanks for the info.

Two more questions. How much does it cost to fill the bottle and how long does a bottle last?

--------------------

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it cost about 35-40 to fill a bottle, and it depends on how big of a shot u use

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i wouldn't recommend using nitrous on any car with stock ignition that is set to pull fuel supply to maintain rpm.

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Say i was to get nitrous which is better wet system or a dry system? for a 96 saleen non supercharged what would i need to purchase for it to work good, different igition etc. thanks

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

quote:
Originally posted by Saleen_S281:
Say i was to get nitrous which is better wet system or a dry system? for a 96 saleen non supercharged what would i need to purchase for it to work good, different igition etc. thanks

What color is your car? Just wondering if I have seen you around town.

--------------------

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

quote:
Originally posted by Elapid:
i wouldn't recommend using nitrous on any car with stock ignition that is set to pull fuel supply to maintain rpm.

So you reccomend removing the rev limiter when I get it tuned? I was going to bump it up to 8k or so anyway. I don't think it will go that high anyway, but if it did I'm pretty sure it can take it.

--------------------

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As far as I know timing doesn't need to be changed if you compensate with enough fuel. I've been told by some people to run 2 jet sizes bigger on the fuel side when running even a 150 shot and that should be addequite. With your mods however, you might want to ask someone at NX or NOS.

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that might be because your knock sensor saves your ass. details, details!

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

maeco
¯
Member # 2578

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for maeco  Ford pictures for maeco    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just buy my zex nos kit it was on my 98 cobra sold the car but still has the nos .its the safest nos out there right now cus it has a computer that controls the amount of nos to the engine by fuel presure so your engine dont lean out or gets to rich it has 55,65,75 shot without
changing you stock timing.capable of 125 but you need to retadr your timing.go to www.zex.com
and readup on it.
let me know if your interested.
p.m. me

--------------------
Looking for clean white mustang email me

Elapid
GOROBGO
Member # 50

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Elapid  Ford pictures for Elapid  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah, put the rev limit up out of the way.
i'd go with an msd AND a window switch (for redundant safety) and hobbs switch on the fuel rail in case the pump fails. select your rev limit with the msd and you're good to go.

i used to get 7 passes on a 10lb bottle jetted for a 150-shot.

ROCKETMAN!!!!!!
[Big Grin]

--------------------
98 Cobra
83 Notch rolling chassis - fs

Posts: 1797 | From: Grass Valley, CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

quote:
Originally posted by T-TopTerror:
As far as I know timing doesn't need to be changed if you compensate with enough fuel. I've been told by some people to run 2 jet sizes bigger on the fuel side when running even a 150 shot and that should be addequite. With your mods however, you might want to ask someone at NX or NOS.

Like I said at the begining, I dunno much about N2O.

"Bigger jets on the fuel side" means what? Why would you have jets for fuel? I thought that the system just sprays N20 either in to the ports or after the throttle body.

Thsnks to every body for all your responses. I'm trying here. [Confused]

--------------------

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
zex [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I drive that white Saleen with the blue graphics with flames on the windows> I dont think i have seen your red 97 cobra

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A wet kit sprays nitrous and more fuel into your motor. So you have little jets that spray both. So if if you have the 150 shot Jet for the nitrous your are going to need to run a bigger jet for the fuel also. I guess what someone is trying to say is that you should run an even bigger fuel Jet than the 150 shot requires. If you want the best bang for the buck go with the NX single nozzle wet kit adjustable from 75-150 horsepower from MustangGT5091. If you want what in my opinion is the best kit go with either the NX or NOS "NOS"zzle type kit. This sprays in at your fue injectors and seems like the best way to get proper nitrous flow. What happens on the tune is the chip will take away timing and add fuel so that when you hit the nitrous you don't go lean and detonate. Just learn from 98STangPower though. Don't get it tuned for a 100 shot and then use the 150 shot. Very bad idea. I would look into that MSD box that retards when the nitrous hits. that would be a very good investment cause then you could run enough timing to make power NA and decrease the timing to run run the jug safely. Hope I put it all together for ya here.
Ryan [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
mustanggt5091
All I need is.....
Member # 444

Things I always recommend are fuel pump and a good ignition system, like MSD, with N2O options on it! Any questions, PM me and Ill be happy to answer them!

IMHO - stay away from ZEX, little power out of a system made for imports! [patriot]

--------------------

VNMKING
¯
Member # 480

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VNMKING  Ford pictures for VNMKING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What I meant by a bigger fuel jet is on a wet kit injecting both nitrous and fuel. Normally there is something like a 9 number spread. Example: N2O-.42 Fuel-.51 My friends that have carbed motors and no knock sensors run factory timing(or whatever is running best naturally aspirated) then up the fuel side 2-3 numbers (ie: .51 to a .53) if this is starting to make more sense let me know. There are people running the NX wet kit on there cobras on this site with no supporting hardware(well diff. plugs) up to 150 with NO problems.

--------------------
65’ Coupe
94’ Cobra
"VNMKING"

Posts: 1000 | From: Roseville, CA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Thanks for all your replies. I feel a bit more informed. I was planning on going with boost, but since I've been out of work for quite a while I decided that its just too damn expensive to do it right. $6K to $8K vs. ~$1500 for N2O.

Besides I need to start saving for an 06 Cobra!

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com