Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 120,000 miles on my cobra now

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 120,000 miles on my cobra now
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i am gonna put a vortech on it with 36 pound injectors with a mild boost 8 lbs or so how long you think the motor will last i am guessing 5,000 to 10,000 miles with a good tune with a few trips to the track i am planning on a 302 4v big bore in january just wanted to see what you think any guess on how long it will last

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
R.M.I cylinder head fabrication
408 986 8626

Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
50K+ or more if it doesn't detonate.
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wow thanks for being on the positive side

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
408 986 8626

DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It will last a long time as long as you get yourself a good proper tune and upgrade the fuel system to handle it. I don't think FOrd would put a blower on a car stock if they didn't think it would last [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do a compression or leak down test to see how badly your engine has deteriorated..Hopefully the compression will be even across all 8 cylinders and your engine should handle adding 8lbs of boost..

Cobra with a Vortech= [Big Grin]

[ September 07, 2003, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
HDS
¯
Member # 2109

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HDS  Ford pictures for HDS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DropTopFox:
It will last a long time as long as you get yourself a good proper tune and upgrade the fuel system to handle it. I don't think FOrd would put a blower on a car stock if they didn't think it would last [Whoo Whooooo!]

I think they use a steel block on the new cobra.

But heck, supercharge it. Abuse it for a while,
so you have a reason to get the new block!

--------------------
1995 GT Vert

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

well my new block wont be done until late january but until then i want the car to be some what dependable but my new block i am hoping for a 550 hp set up a buddy of mine is getting 392 rwhp and 346 ft lbs all motor with the 302 bore heads and regrind cams so i am shooting for that with 14 to 18 lbs of boost on the built motor also one more question you think 50 lbs injector is over kill on 8 lbs or will my 24s backed by a regulator and fuel pump be ok i want at least 50 lbs when block is done so just trying to prepare for the new block set up

--------------------
408 986 8626

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is this going to ba race only car?

If not, then 18 psi is unrealistic. You will get severe deonation with 91 octane and that much boost. Lower compression pistons will help, but detonation will still be a problem.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

12 to 14 for street i plan on using 100 octane at the least for the street higher octane for the track the car is my weekend car as soon as put the heads and cam back in my fox and i plan on 8:5.1 compression on this block

--------------------
408 986 8626

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool. Just making sure you were aware.

I've seen the aftermath of a few greedy individuals that don't beleive there are limits to boost. They see the cars in MM&FF or 5.0 running 18 or 20lbs and think they can do it too.

--------------------

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Oh, as to your original question. My motor was ready for a rebuild at ~150K. Both heads gaskets were leaking. Bearings/rings/cylinders all looked pretty good though.

When you get it done, don't forget to budget for new cam chains, tensioners and lifters. With this many miles there is some stretch in the chains wich causes the cams to be a bit out of sync. There is also a bit of a design flaw in the tensioner on the right head. Tension is actually placed on the tensioned side of the chain rather than on the slack side. This causes that chain to stretch/wear more.

--------------------

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

well i want to try the ryracing new sprockets they allow you to make finer cam adjustment resulting in a flatter tq. curve throughout the power band somthing the 4v really lacks so yea cam sprokets and chains are in the future of my new motor

--------------------
408 986 8626

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com