Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Coilovers for traction?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Coilovers for traction?
93Snyper
¯
Member # 1058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93Snyper  Ford pictures for 93Snyper  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard that coilvoers alone help with planting the rear tires is their any truth to this [Confused] becaused they cost a quiet a bit more and i dont really care about height adjustability factor....

Along with the coilover I am going with just a track link kit as opposed to a full torque arm/panhard bar setup-which i think is alttle over kill for my intentions/budget. Any thoughts or experiences with the track link? [patriot]

--------------------
Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would say coil overs are good for ride height and ride control, not really traction.

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what is the application? street? 1/4 mile? autox? roadcourse?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

93Snyper
¯
Member # 1058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93Snyper  Ford pictures for 93Snyper  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
About 90% street and 10% drag and an occasional autocrosss event...
My whole thought process is that if i get the convential torque arm such as a griggs or MM ill also need the panhard bar to control the horizontal movement of the rear end- which is mainly need for courses requiring turns-....
So since im not going to many roadcourses I can still plant the tires with the track link, and the coilover help with that-from what ive heard...

--------------------

sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your looking i have the torque arm and panhard bar for sale i like it alot for the track but on the street there is nothing else like it. its awsome.(need money for heads reason for selling)

[ September 05, 2003, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: sac 5.0 ]

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Coil-over springs are much lighter than conventional springs, resulting in reduced unsprung weight...This allows the rear suspension to move more easily....

You can also fit bigger tires on the rear with the right size coil over spring...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Coil over set ups are lighter so they react faster to road conditions.

The springs them selves are fairly cheep and quick/easy to install once the kit is in place. This allows for easy changes to different spring rates.

The spring is compressed straight up and down rather than in an arc. This provides a linear spring rate with better control.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

93Snyper
¯
Member # 1058

What kind of springs rates do you recomend for for mostly street and some drag? And does someone make coilovers for that fit tokicos?

--------------------

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im not a drag racer, so I don't know for sure.

I do know that it depends on the sum of the entire package. the rating for a coil over would be lower than a conventional set up. Then if you have a torque arm that changes things. A change in shock rebound/getting rid of your upper control arms/an increase in power/changing pinion angle or any number of things can affect what the best spring rate would be.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com