Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » DSS main support system w/ windage tray

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: DSS main support system w/ windage tray
mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wondering if any of you are running this? Had any problems using it?

mike

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mike g:
Just wondering if any of you are running this? Had any problems using it?

mike

I have it minus the windage tray. Nice piece.
BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is a waste of $$$$ the block is still gonna break

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BOUNTY HUNTER VERT:
It is a waste of $$$$ the block is still gonna break

I disagree. I have both pieces and they are nice. Logically when bolted up and you look at it, it must add some strength due to the bolting pattern and the way it is set in. Just my opinion.
Posts: 1147 | From: Disco Bay | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
mike g
¯
Member # 2919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike g  Ford pictures for mike g    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so with the main support and windage tray was there any machining recquired or clearance problems?

mike

--------------------
FOUR EYED PRIDE!!!!!!

LAST302
¯
Member # 808

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LAST302  Ford pictures for LAST302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had to bend the oil sump bracket around the main support with my hands and that is it. There pieces work very nicely together and they give VERY GOOD directions as opposed to some of the others out there. They explain how to do this procedure also.

[ September 04, 2003, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: LAST302 ]

BOUNTY HUNTER VERT
¯
Member # 2754

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT  Ford pictures for BOUNTY HUNTER VERT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol i had a main support from chp and all it did was keep my parts in a nice pile when the block split mind you at only 512 rwhp on 12 psi

--------------------
89 Saleen vert Bounty Hunter racing

http://www.corral.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1324&papass=&sort=1&size=medium&thecat=

Its all stock and slow wanna run.

biggmatt
¯
Member # 1124

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for biggmatt  Ford pictures for biggmatt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by LAST302:
I had to bend the oil sump bracket around the main support with my hands and that is it. There pieces work very nicely together and they give VERY GOOD directions as opposed to some of the others out there. They explain how to do this procedure also.

i had to do the same thing
LAST302
¯
Member # 808

quote:
Lol i had a main support from chp and all it did was keep my parts in a nice pile when the block split mind you at only 512 rwhp on 12 psi

Dont blame the girdle on that one bud!!! [Wink]
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by big matt:
quote:
Originally posted by LAST302:

i had to do the same thing
I didn't but I have a front sump pan with pick up for my 65. Everything fit great.

[ September 05, 2003, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: sharkattack ]

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Aluminum should not be used as a girdle on Iron caps.
Aluminum expands at just about twice the rate of iron. This means as your motor is warming up the girdle is expanding faster....actually pushing on the caps. Steel is a MUCH better choice for a girdle.

FYI, when ANY girdle is installed the mains should be line-honed with the girdle torqued in place.

IMO, all a girdle will do is keep the busted parts in a nice pile when the block breaks. If you're running over 500RWHP, or over 450RW but turning the motor over 6500rpm you should really think about getting a stronger block. If you're not making that kind of power, the stock block is fine....but there's no real need for a girdle....with the possible exception of a 350+RWHP motor that is shifted over 6500rpm & has the occassion bottle run through it.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Aluminum should not be used as a girdle on Iron caps.
Aluminum expands at just about twice the rate of iron. This means as your motor is warming up the girdle is expanding faster....actually pushing on the caps. Steel is a MUCH better choice for a girdle.

FYI, when ANY girdle is installed the mains should be line-honed with the girdle torqued in place.

IMO, all a girdle will do is keep the busted parts in a nice pile when the block breaks. If you're running over 500RWHP, or over 450RW but turning the motor over 6500rpm you should really think about getting a stronger block. If you're not making that kind of power, the stock block is fine....but there's no real need for a girdle....with the possible exception of a 350+RWHP motor that is shifted over 6500rpm & has the occassion bottle run through it.

Thats my set up.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

ONLY 512 rwhp, on a stock block?? thats a given.
c'mon now.

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
atleast we know that aluminum dampens harmonics better. [Cool]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com