Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Changing head gasket on 4.6

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Changing head gasket on 4.6
69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 69DodgeCharger  Ford pictures for 69DodgeCharger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi, I am looking at a supercharged mustang, and the only flaw about the car is one of the head gaskets has a slight leak from the car overheating once. I have been told that the car is fine to drive, but it does need replaceing. How hard is it to replace the head gasket on a 4.6? I have only worked on big block dodge, and old small block chevys and fords, never a modular 4.6. How long do you think it would take?
Thanks
Ryan

--------------------
I do installs and vehicle transport
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T
496 big block, TKO, Dana 60

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all i got to say is have fun [patriot]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Stimson
_
Member # 51

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimson  Ford pictures for Stimson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd seriously consider passing up this car and finding another car. It sounds like you'll be buying a lot of hassles.... smog, leaky head gasket, and other surprises you don't know about yet...
69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 69DodgeCharger  Ford pictures for 69DodgeCharger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya, you kinda have a point, i was just figuring that I could save some money this way, because i dont mind replacing head gaskets and such. Oh well I'll have to think about it.

--------------------
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T

Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You didn't say whether it is a GT or Cobra.

On a Cobra I would say forget it. They say it can be done but even changing the valve cover o-ring is a major pain. It is easier to "drop" the motor. I say drop because it is easier to get it out from the bottom than the top.

On a GT not sure but it can be a bitch if you were to drop the cam chain off the crank. Probably still easier to drop the motor.

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

its a GT

--------------------
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont let these guys change your mind Ryan, ill help you if I have to. Ive never done it before, but im sure I can learn. [patriot]

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it was me i would pull the motor and while it was out and u were fixing the head gasket i woul p/p the heads and do some custom grind blower cams.trust me ive been down this road before with my 4.6 gt.while its out u might as well do it, but then again this is just my .02 cents.

and if u guys need any input or help just give me a pm i live in pittsburg

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

I am unsure about the heads being ported, but the motor allready has custom grind blower cams and such

--------------------
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

oh ok but what im sayin is while the heads r off u might ass well [Wink]

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its not that hard to change the gasket

but you may have more problems then just a leaking head gasket

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

thats what I was thinking, what other problems could it be? I was thinking that it may be OK because it hapend when the car overheated once.
Red97SVT
¯
Member # 2811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red97SVT  Ford pictures for Red97SVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you decide to do this, make sure you get new head bolts. They are not reuseable.

Also make sure you torque them down correctly or you will just blow another gasket.

While the head is off, take it to a machine shop and have them check the surface to make sure no material was lost due to the blown gasket. If it needs to be resurfaced, it isn't good for much more than beer cans as this will change the cam relationship with the head and affect cam timing.

Good luck!

--------------------
Engine: HCI forged 0.30' over N/A.
Suspension: Full Griggs by Apex.
Drive train: T-56, Auburn pro, 31 spline axles, 3.73s.

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 69DodgeCharger:
thats what I was thinking, what other problems could it be? I was thinking that it may be OK because it hapend when the car overheated once.

well hhe could of also cracked the head,ring or piston, but you wont now till its apart

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

i dont think it is the ring or piston, he said it still runs fine, just leaks a little from the head gasket (leaking what i dont exactly know) but he said his machanic said its the head gasket.
69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

i dont think it is the ring or piston, he said it still runs fine, just leaks a little from the head gasket (leaking what i dont exactly know) but he said his machanic said its the head gasket.
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i wouldnt buy it if they are driving around with a blown headgasket. there could be water in the oil... toasted bearings perhaps? [Eek!]

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

hes not driving now that he knows that it leaks, but he just said it still runs fine (im going to trailer it home and rip it apart ASAP) if I decide to by it
ihatethesesns
¯
Member # 684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ihatethesesns  Ford pictures for ihatethesesns    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think what people are trying to tell you is runs ok and blown head gasket don't go together. Sounds like he beat on the car and is sick of dropping cash into the car. If your looking for a project that may turn into a money pit then go for it.

--------------------
" Friends come and go but enemies Accumulate"

'Fight Crime Shoot First'

69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

allright I just talked to the guy and he said that the shop that built it, did a leak down test and they found that the head gasket has a slight leak witch makes exaust gas to go to the radiator and makes the car overheat. He said that there is no water in the oil or anything like that.
RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
your crazy to be buying a motor with a blown headgasket your basicly buying someone elses problem sorry bro but its the facts!

--------------------
SR

Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
69DodgeCharger
¯
Member # 3231

ya i was kinda thinking the same thing, the only thing that makes me want to buy it is the amount of mods it has done, and how much of a beast the thing would be when the head gasket was fixed.

--------------------
ryan 925 783 7259

-2002 Corvette ZO6
H/C/I 470rwhp

-1969 Dodge Charger R/T

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com