Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tachometer Installation

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tachometer Installation
nineeightstang
¯
Member # 2685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineeightstang  Ford pictures for nineeightstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am finally going to try and install my tachometer after a couple of months of having it. I have a 98 GT and i need directions on how to do this install. I already know that red=positive, black=ground, and green=tach terminal. Where is the tach terminal on my year car and how to I connect into it to get a signal to the tach. What color wire is it?
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if i have time i will pull my gauge cluster out but i dont know if i will have the time.but if u were to pull the cluster out and take a test light to each wire that goes to ur stock tach and jump a wire to ur new tach and give it some gas it should be able to tell u. this is what i did to get mine to work. like i said if i get time i will look at mine.

chris

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oh yeah if u havent connected the other wires in then i suggest u use the stock wireing harness from ur stereo if u have an aftermarket one in.

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

nineeightstang
¯
Member # 2685

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineeightstang  Ford pictures for nineeightstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i will try to do that, do i test the wires on both harnesses that go to the stock cluster?
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

look for the wires that go into the back of the stock tach and test the wires ith a rev of the motor.and if the test light lights up thats ur wire

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

nineeightstang
¯
Member # 2685

Thanks a lot, i have it installed and hooked up and it works great. The green went to the brown wire w/ yellow stripe and the red wire went to the red wire w/ yellow stripe on the white wiring harness. Thanks again.
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
cool glad to help

chris [Big Grin]

--------------------
2011 Tahoe

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com